What kind of EC's will make your application outstanding? and how many?

nerv12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I currently volunteer at a rehab. center and shadow a Chiropractor and she is a really nice lady and even asked me if you ever need a reference letter, don't hesitate to ask! So I want to continue volunteering there through college. But what kind of EC's look the best? I also did some volunteering at the hospital but nothing too intense. I've shadowed my family doctor for a few days. And that's about it...since I still have next year before university and this summer, I want to start volunteering more and "make friends" maybe. I will have a lot of free time on my hands starting june 15 till September so I want to make really good use of it and experience more than the usual.

So what do you guys recommend? And how much/many hours do I really need when applying to med school? Is it better to have a variety of different EC's or is it better to have plenty of hours in a couple of things indicating that you've had a lot of experience there?

Members don't see this ad.

I currently volunteer at a rehab. center and shadow a Chiropractor and she is a really nice lady and even asked me if you ever need a reference letter, don't hesitate to ask! So I want to continue volunteering there through college. But what kind of EC's look the best? I also did some volunteering at the hospital but nothing too intense. I've shadowed my family doctor for a few days. And that's about it...since I still have next year before university and this summer, I want to start volunteering more and "make friends" maybe. I will have a lot of free time on my hands starting june 15 till September so I want to make really good use of it and experience more than the usual.

So what do you guys recommend? And how much/many hours do I really need when applying to med school? Is it better to have a variety of different EC's or is it better to have plenty of hours in a couple of things indicating that you've had a lot of experience there?

You want to show commitment to things. Being "member" of 20 clubs is worse than being "leader" of 4.

I would like to know too. I want to know some ECs that are super useful.

What are the significant ECs a medical school would look for ?

Members don't see this ad :)
Finding a way to make world peace a reality. Better get to cracking.

No seriously, do whatever you're interested in. There's nothing that's "better" than another. Research is helpful, and you'll definitely need some clinical experience, but other than that, participate in whatever you want. Don't worry so much about getting into medical school that you don't do the things you really want to do. College only happens once.

So does doing the usual stuff like shadowing and stuff for a prolonged period of time make you a good enough candidate as long as you have a good gpa and mcat score?

Is it true the some schools emphasize more on EC's?

Another question, what kind of research do you usually do in university?

Kids, being perfect is what makes your app outstanding.

Perfect still doesn't get in.

:cool:

You need the grades, the MCAT, the shadowing, the clinicals, the volunteering, the LORs, research when necessary. Yeah, people get in without OUTSTANDINGs in them, but basically? By being on SDN, you're just making it harder for yourself.

Why? Because you're already playin' the game.

1up.

Good ECs are things that you love. When you go for an interview and the interviewer asks you why you are in a certain club, you want to be able to show that you really enjoy it. Don't join a club just to be a member because it will probably just waste time. Join clubs that you find interesting, they don't always have to be medical related.

The rule of thumb is that if you enjoy it, do it, unless it's heroine or something like that.

I mean no offense by this, and this is to the best of my understanding, but absolutely do not use a LOR from a Chiropractor (or a "chiropractic physician") on your medical school application. Saying you volunteered at a rehab. center is good though.