What kind of chance do I have?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hoselton

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I figured my GPA's for all my schooling and it isn't looking good. Please tell me what you think. I placed to questions under numbers so you could answer one or more.

1. My B.A. GPA was 3.0, then for my B.S. which was another 79 hours was 3.7. My Masters was 4.0 and my prerequisite classes were a 4.0 I believe, and my Chiropractic degree was 3.4

I think my total GPA for all the classes I've taken in 3.4. What is your opinion on how any of those grades would sit with admissions committees? With my first 4 year degree GPA (3.0) -- am out out of luck?

2. How are Canadian schools perceived in the US? They seem to have the same passing rates. Are they as hard to get in as the US -- if it's even possible for a US student to study at them?

3. If applicable, what kind of MCAT score would I need to be considered?

4. Is a medical student only allowed to take Step 1 twice?

Members don't see this ad.

hoselton said:
I think my total GPA for all the classes I've taken in 3.4.
A 3.4 is competitive, albeit on the low side. Not counting your chiropractic training, your more recent work was above average, which should help. So, I think you're situation is reasonable, especially if your science GPA is also around this range.

hoselton said:
2. How are Canadian schools perceived in the US? They seem to have the same passing rates. Are they as hard to get in as the US -- if it's even possible for a US student to study at them?
Canadian schools are considered equivalent to U.S. schools.

hoselton said:
3. If applicable, what kind of MCAT score would I need to be considered?
There's no magic number. But the best thing you can is get an above-average score on the MCAT. The average medical student scores about 30. It would help if you could score higher, say 33 or better. The MCAT section on my site talks about how I approached the MCAT after 15 years.

Here's what I suggest.

1. Take a couple biology courses for review. I believe it's been more than 5 years since you've taken any, and most medical schools require that you've taken some science with 5 years of entering medical school. Plus, it will help with the MCAT.

1a. It's best to apply using a premed committee. Contact the premed committe at any of your previous schools or the new school you will take review courses at. They will be happy to assist you with the application process, and can give you the best advice. My school was willing to help me after 15 years.

2. Take the MCAT. It would be best to take the April MCAT, so you're likely looking at April 2006, unless you have a lot of time over the next 4 months to study. See the FAQ on my site for reasons to avoid the August MCAT.

3. Apply to medical school on June 1st, after taking the MCAT. The average student applies to 12 schools. You should apply to more (I applied to 24), to hedge against schools that may not interview you just because of your overall GPA.

4. It will take 15 months to process your application (June through the following September). During this time, I suggest you take additional science courses. Better yet, start a masters degree in biology. This way, if you have to reapply, you'll have an even stronger application.

Good luck.