What is your opinion on the movie Sicko?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Alaunus

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
After watching the movie,i would like to visit France :p

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
After watching the movie,i would like to visit France :p
You should certainly do it. Better to speak from actual experience and looking at facts rather than political talking points.

It's nice. It's not perfect but I thought it was pretty excellent overall (I've lived in the UK more than France but I'd prefer the French system over the UK).

You should certainly do it. Better to speak from actual experience and looking at facts rather than political talking points.

It's nice. It's not perfect but I thought it was pretty excellent overall (I've lived in the UK more than France but I'd prefer the French system over the UK).

I've lived under both too and the French system has a lot of issues as well (there are good things about it though). It wouldn't fly very well here though. They pay physicians relatively little, like around $60k/year. They can do this because med school is free and physicians don't incur the debt they do here. They also get 12 weeks vacation. When I was there, everyone when to Corsica during August. :p
Because of the strict government pricing regulations on private insurance, which about 70% of the population uses, the government has had to bailout/pour money into the insurance industry to keep things running. The NHS has had similar problems, which is why cutting funding for it was such a big deal last election.

As for sicko, I think Michael Moore is a liar and a fraud. In general, I enjoy hearing from people who disagree with me or may have a different approach to the problem, however Moore consistently leaves out information and misleads you to 'prove' that he is right. Sicko is no different. I'd have to watch it again to give you specific examples, but it would have been much more powerful a message if he had used that time and money to provide a more rounded and objective view of the way other countries do things. We could certainly learn from them, but it's impossible to sort out the BS and exaggerations. I somehow doubt that he will go to Cuba when he has a heart attack and needs bipass surgery (and by the look of him, that will be soon).

Yea, I preferred the French system but it wouldn't fly over here. Of course, it has to be bailed out a lot - they still spend quite a bit less than us though. One of the major problems in the US is end of life care, where a huge percent of medicare payments go. But fixing that requires a societal solution, and I don't think in our politicized environment we can have that conversation without people accusing other people of wanting to kill grandma.

Yea, I preferred the French system but it wouldn't fly over here. Of course, it has to be bailed out a lot - they still spend quite a bit less than us though. One of the major problems in the US is end of life care, where a huge percent of medicare payments go. But fixing that requires a societal solution, and I don't think in our politicized environment we can have that conversation without people accusing other people of wanting to kill grandma.

Definitely agree with you here. Considering we can't even suggest talking about end of life care without being accused of forming 'death panels,' I don't see much hope here. People in Europe are much more realistic about such things.