What is your least favorite thing about Audiology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Goofygirl2010

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For me it's that I find it incredibly hard to find info on the field. Salary information and the job market is all over the place. I still don't know what to expect to make or how easy it is to find a job :mad:. Anyways...what is your least favorite thing?

Members don't see this ad.

For me it's that I find it incredibly hard to find info on the field. Salary information and the job market is all over the place. I still don't know what to expect to make or how easy it is to find a job :mad:. Anyways...what is your least favorite thing?

I'd say I agree, but more along the lines of information available in the school system. I'm a rising senior and I've learned very little about audiology because the Communication Sciences major is tailored towards Speech-Language Pathologists. I feel underprepared for graduate school and more frustratingly, I feel like I'm wasting my years in undergrad. We could all be learning so much more!

If I can't pick on schools, then my answer is "people."
That's why I'm going into research and/or teaching instead of clinical work. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I would say low income with AuD Degree right after graduation. Compared to other health professionals, audiologists make less money. Other than that, I think this area of study is great !

My least favorite thing is that we arent seen as a doctorate profession just yet. It is discouraging that the field has a lot to grow before that happends. Optometry is a big contributor to my frustration. In the hospital I work at they are paid as the primary care doctors are and audiologists get paid well but they arent seen in the same light. All I can say is we as students need to grow with the profession!

Other than that I love audiology.

My least favorite thing is that we arent seen as a doctorate profession just yet. It is discouraging that the field has a lot to grow before that happends. Optometry is a big contributor to my frustration. In the hospital I work at they are paid as the primary care doctors are and audiologists get paid well but they arent seen in the same light. All I can say is we as students need to grow with the profession!

Other than that I love audiology.

Hmm interesting comments...so AuDs are paid the same as ODs where you work but just don't seem to have the same level of respect? What do you see as vital things that need to happen in order for us to gain that respect?

Hmm interesting comments...so AuDs are paid the same as ODs where you work but just don't seem to have the same level of respect? What do you see as vital things that need to happen in order for us to gain that respect?

Optometrists are paid as doctors (MD's) they have the physician package for vacation and pay. Audiologists are paid just like everyone else at the medical center, which is an okay amount. I am just saying that ODs are looked at more as a doctorate profession and audiology is "speciality care".

Well I would love to see more masters become Au.D.'s and the ABA have its own body where it evalutes Au.D. programs (instead of ASHA). Things like that would make it better.

-Just some thoughts.

Well I would love to see more masters become Au.D.'s and the ABA have its own body where it evalutes Au.D. programs (instead of ASHA). Things like that would make it better.

I think the Masters phase out will happen fairly soon, especially once 2012 rolls around and the AuD will become required. I also definitely agree with you that we need more AuDs to become board certified through the ABA--this will happen too. That's one great thing about this field, we're a relatively young profession but a lot of cool stuff is likely going to happen over the next decade.

I'm excited about the future of our field. It is up to us to make the changes and mold this field into what we want. I would suggest, if you haven't already, look into the Student Academy of Audiology (used to be NAFDA). It is the new student organization, now part of the American Academy of Audiolgy, that connects audiology students from across the nation and helps us network, learn, and become active members of our field and our future.

http://www.audiology.org/education/students/Pages/default.aspx

and my least favorite thing about audiology: hearing tests. lol I know.