What is USUHS actually like?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KilgoreSnout

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
cross post, was told to post here.

As I start preparing to apply in the next year, I have noticed a lack of information about what USUHS is actually like day to day, and how it differs from civilian programs. Are the "summer experiences" and things like jungle medicine actually giving useful skills? Does it feel more like a military course or like medical school?

I'm prior service, and am pretty aware of what military medicine is (and is not). Almost everything I see online discusses the financial and time commitment aspects of USUS and not what the school actually has to offer.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Current MS4 and 13 yr prior AD officer here.

I can try and address a few of your specific questions, though I would encourage you to search through the numerous threads here on USUHS vs HPSP etc to gain an understanding of other ways that USUHS differs from civilian medical school.

Being prior service is good, you will benefit from that. Whether or not you know what military medicine is/isn’t is questionable, given you are the one asking the question of what USU “has to offer”.

1) Day to day: take a moment and search for USU’s 4 year schedule for any class in the last few years to get a big picture of your flow. Major difference as I understand it is that you will complete a large portion of your clerkships prior to taking Step 1 versus most civilian institutions. Day to day during pre-clerkship you will wear a uniform if you are required to attend a lecture/class. Many are recorded and not required minus pathology lab and other events needing hands on training.

2) TCCC: You will have a heavier focus on preparing to potentially be a sole provider in an area with limited resources and slowly grow your skills throughout your 4 years culminating in Bushmaster up in PA. By the end you will be able to work as a team with your classmates in a simulated combat environment handling a gamut of combat trauma and other pathologies (psych, Prev Med, etc). Could you actually put in a chest tube in a real situation post bushmaster without more practice and training? Possibly, but you will leave feeling somewhat more confident in your combat trauma and leadership skills. You will not get these experiences in civilian school. You will load live patients into turning blackhawks, handle simulated CBR environments, and many more things. Bushmaster was an incredible training experience and I have completed SERE and many others for perspective.

3). You will have a chain of command. If you want to leave the 300ish mile distance from Bethesda or any training area you will need permission and route accordingly. This should t be a big deal for someone AD like yourself. You will complete PRTs/whatever service physical test it is you take twice yearly. You will get annoying emails to complete all the semi pointless CBTs. Beyond that there is little military at USU. You will call your physicians sir/M’am or Dr. So and So, you will be professional. You will work/clerkship primarily At military MTFs throughout the country. You can request almost anywhere and most of my classmates were able to travel as much/little as they wanted.

4) Summer experiences. Operational opportunities such as jungle medicine, mountain medicine, etc exist but it is often on you to work out the details and fit into your schedule. I have heard nothing but good things. Your question if our military courses teach “anything useful” further highlights your questionable knowledge of how military medicine works. While it isn’t a perfect system by far. The people and training offered from my experience and perspective has been mostly highly valuable.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
t it is often on you to work out the details and fit into your schedule. I have heard nothing but good things. Your question if our military courses teach “anything useful” further highlights your questionable knowledge of how military medicine works. While it isn’t a perfect system by far. The people and training offered from my experience and perspective has been mostly highly valuable.
Thank you for your response, I took some time to look more into and will continue to do so. I want to do 20+ in the military so my immediate thought has been USUHS, though I should definitely be more knowledgable before applying.

My question regarding the usefulness of summer experiences came after reading the web-page (USUHS, Military Readiness, Military Specific Curriculum, Summer Experiences) which talks about dive medicine, SOCM, and combatives as options. I am curious about those because at first glance, it seems like those might be more summer break intro activities than actual medical education events. If they're more experiences than education, something like air assault or freefall would be more in my interests, but I understand why that is both impractical and unnecessary for most docs.

Members don't see this ad :)
In terms of usefulness I found that my time at USUHS were some of the most efficient in terms of using time wisely for what I was assigned to be doing over the last 20 years in the military. Almost everything had a purpose and I had choice (to some extent) as to what I would fill elective blocks with.

In terms of usefulness I found that my time at USUHS were some of the most efficient in terms of using time wisely for what I was assigned to be doing over the last 20 years in the military. Almost everything had a purpose and I had choice (to some extent) as to what I would fill elective blocks with.
Thanks for the response. Do you have any electives or non-traditional medical school experiences that you would strongly recommend USUHS students look into?

It’s been >10 years since I was there so likely different. First, these “summer break intro activities” are actually exactly what students at USUHS need. You will have plenty of time doing actual educational quals so don’t worry about that. What people need to figure out is what they will be happy doing during their payback. So seek out whatever interests you at the time.

One summer I did an operational (deployment) medicine course. Allowed me to travel to Europe for 2 weeks and learn along side international special forces medics. Really cool. The other time I went to NAMI and did some aerospace medicine exposure, helo dunker, etc. to see if I wanted to do flight.

There are certainly issues in the military, but the medical education I received at USUHS was excellent. At the time, there was also a dedicated cadre of professors and military instructors who made it what it was/is. I can't speak with authority to USUHS today, but I hope they have maintained that level of quality.

When I was there, we were in uniform and still had to do things like PT, random UA, and CBTs. Your primary job was to learn. You were and felt like a medical student. At least then, it very much was not like PME in residence or something.

Some of the opportunities for military related electives were also interesting and pretty unique, some less so. What is available now is probably very different, it's been a long time (I feel old). Take advantage if there's something that catches your interest. It's hard to go do something like airborne school or run around with allied nations' medical personnel once you graduate (unless you've already been there and done all that).

Bushmaster/Kerkesner may sound kinda iffy, but they were actually really great training and pretty realistic. I haven't been back to help, but I tangentially know some of the staff involved. It sounds like it's actually only improved over the years.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I graduated from USUHS several years ago. I was prior service, but not a line guy. The field experience definitely helped as a GMO with a Marine artillery battalion. Currently, as staff, I guess it’s a wash, other than running into my classmates around the world which is always a joy. The camaraderie is good. The education is decent, but I don’t think it’s superior to any other solid MD program. The service commitment delays your retention bonuses, however the salary in medical school as a prior service officer is pretty good.

Reactions: 1 users