Army What is the possibility of being deployed starting year of 2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LFA20

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will graduate dental school in 2018 and I was wondering the possibility of me being deployment to afghanistan(or other deployment country) at that time

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I will graduate dental school in 2018 and I was wondering the possibility of me being deployment to afghanistan(or other deployment country) at that time

thanks

Nobody knows what this country will be doing 4 years from now. I would venture to say that the likelihood of being deployed overseas is pretty slim but a lot can happen between now and then. An OMFS I know did the Navy HPSP back in the day. He started his active duty after dental school and the first day he was put on a ship to go out to sea was on 9/11. He was going to be on the ship that day regardless because that is just part of being in the Navy, but I imagine he got a lot more worried than he normally would have been. You never know, but that's part of it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Usually the Army wants at least a year of experience under your belt before you are deployed. However realize that there is a chance you could deploy during your 4 year obligation. If you don't want to, don't take the scholarship.

thanks

what happened? I thought you were set on doing the hpsp route? its the military, deployment is always a possibility.

OP, you're essentially asking someone to tell you the future. no one knows what the future holds.

if you're asking such a question, don't take the scholarship. yes, the government is paying for your schooling but there are a whole bunch of other factors that you have to consider. this isn't a ''free ride''.

Reactions: 1 user
Deployments are highly sought after...seriously. I know many people that have volunteered many times and have not been able to get a slot. Deployments are like root canals...you hear how bad they are until you actually experience one...then you realize it was not that bad. Of course, there are always exceptions...but almost everyone I know that has deployed (including myself), values the time spent in the sandbox. I would go again in a second, no questions asked.

BTW, I deployed to Iraq after dental school: Graduated May 8, 2004, came on Active Duty May 23, was in Iraq in August. This does not happen much anymore...but it happened to me....I was upset at the time. After I got back, I was glad...as I learned more than those few months in a dental clinic could have taught me.

NO, I didn't do a one year...I didn't get accepted.

Deployments are highly sought after...seriously. I know many people that have volunteered many times and have not been able to get a slot. Deployments are like root canals...you hear how bad they are until you actually experience one...then you realize it was not that bad. Of course, there are always exceptions...but almost everyone I know that has deployed (including myself), values the time spent in the sandbox. I would go again in a second, no questions asked.

BTW, I deployed to Iraq after dental school: Graduated May 8, 2004, came on Active Duty May 23, was in Iraq in August. This does not happen much anymore...but it happened to me....I was upset at the time. After I got back, I was glad...as I learned more than those few months in a dental clinic could have taught me.

NO, I didn't do a one year...I didn't get accepted.

Sir, if I may ask..do you mean you didn't get accepted into the 1 year AEGD? Did you apply for the 2 year after you got back from your deployment?

Sir, if I may ask..do you mean you didn't get accepted into the 1 year AEGD? Did you apply for the 2 year after you got back from your deployment?
Hello,

I didn't get accepted...but things were a little different almost 10 years ago. I applied a couple years after I got back from deployment. I elected to delay residency for almost 2 years so I could complete a 15 month deployment with the 82nd. Deploying is a great experience, and teaches you a lot about the Army and Soldiers.