What is the Pediatric Residency lifestyle like??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

poshdoctor

Spicegirls of Healthcare
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm really interested in Peds and OBGYN and I know that the OBGYN residency is pretty grueling but how is it compared a Peds residency??

Members don't see this ad.

This is an extremely difficult question to answer because it depends on the program that you pick. I had call probably averaging Q5-6 as an intern and worked roughly 70 hour weeks averaged the whole year. This was better as a senior (we had night float), so I was on 1-2x monthly. However, Our day hours we a little longer and I probably clocked on average about 60 per week. That's only because we had a lot of clinic time. When I was the ward or NICU senior I was steadily working 80/wk.

Of course OB is 4 years and Peds is 3. if you are going to sub-specialize in peds, It will be 3 more years.

I wouldn't base your decision on the hours, however. You should do what you love.

Ed

It truly depends on the program. I go to one of the larger size top 5 peds programs. Intern year was q4 x 8mos (winter was very busy, I could get 12-15 admissions before nightfloat kicked in! We don't have caps). 2nd year was q4 x 6mos (but some were harder rotations--still SO glad not to be an intern!), and now 3rd year is q4 x5mos.

Also keep in mind that in July 2011 there will be another ACGME restructuring of work hours, so lifestyle during residency is still evolving.

My schedule (large program) is rather similar to Kappa. Intern year I had 7.5 mos of call, one was q5 and one q6, the rest q4.

2nd year is better, still 7 mos of call but some q8 and some q6 in addition to the harder q4 mos!

3rd year (next year), I'm planning on getting totally shafted by the new work-hour rules, so I'll let you know.

However, one thing is for sure: my schedule beats the pants off the OB residents'. They work with us on the NICU month intern year and they can't believe how "cush and easy" the lifestyle is...haha