What is the PCOA exam?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nikkittypharmdream

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
What's the PCOA exam? How do I study for it? Is it similar to the NAPLEX?

Members don't see this ad.

Good luck. It sucks, if I remember correctly there was like 250 questions and it was 80-90% information I had learned in undergrad chem/biochem/biology.

Not a single therapeutics-ish question. Another worthless addition to pharmacy curriculum.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, it is pretty much worthless. Our school gave it to us during the P3 year. Funniest part is the gave it right after Winter Break because they expected us to study for it to make sure they looked good. We got a lot of crap when no one really cared and numerous literally Christmas treed it to be done. Needless to say, the next year they made it part of a course and added a grade to it.

I would say the only thing that correlates to the NAPLEX from this test is judging your ability to sit through a 200+ question exam.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your school can hold you back if you do poorly. Take it semi seriously.

What's the PCOA exam? How do I study for it? Is it similar to the NAPLEX?

There is a 7 page document - PCOA content areas. I would use that as an outline. Use the bold type method when reviewing for this. Consider it "slow skimming". You've seen the concepts before. They should come right back. I would copy and paste it to a word doc and fill in key words for each item. Literally - lisinopril - dry cough - bradykinin build-up.

If you have trouble matching an item on the content areas to the material you've seen, then show the item to a professor and not to an upperclass person. You don't want anyone to think you're trying to gain an unfair advantage.

There is a 7 page document - PCOA content areas. I would use that as an outline. Use the bold type method when reviewing for this. Consider it "slow skimming". You've seen the concepts before. They should come right back. I would copy and paste it to a word doc and fill in key words for each item. Literally - lisinopril - dry cough - bradykinin build-up.

If you have trouble matching an item on the content areas to the material you've seen, then show the item to a professor and not to an upperclass person. You don't want anyone to think you're trying to gain an unfair advantage.
Where is that 7-page document?