Army What is the likelihood of a military couple being stationed together?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TaylorPsyD

Reaction score
My fiancée is in Veterinary school on a HSPS scholarship and will (obviously) be joining the army upon graduation. I, on the other hand, am a recent Psy.D graduate. I was wondering, if I were to also join the army, what would our chances of colocation be? Would the potential of staying together be higher or lower if we were both in the army?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you stay civilian, it’s 100%. Generally there are PsyD jobs for civilians at most Army posts (generally but not always). The downside is that you’ll need to get licensed in each state that you move to — although there is an effort to change that for military spouses.

If you join the Army then you will likely end up separated at some point. Although HRC does try to keep active duty couples together when possible, there will be times that they just can’t make it work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 users
My fiancée is in Veterinary school on a HSPS scholarship and will (obviously) be joining the army upon graduation, and I’m a recent Psy.D graduate. I was wondering, if I were to also join the army, what would our chances of colocation be? Would the potential of staying together be higher or lower if we were both in the army?
This is the reality:

The military tries really hard to let you co-locate but your location options will be greatly decreased due the much different jobs that you do. I don't know the Army that well but you may be looking at just a few different locations. If you are both interested in making the Army a career one or both of your careers can sometimes take a hit due to the restrictions on your co-location (i.e. Some jobs are better for promotion but might not be available to you if you decide to stay in the same place). I know plenty of folks who were successful but almost across the board each had to do some time away for a year or two (not once but several times).

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user