what is the ideal age to start pt school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PTtoB

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
what do you guys think is the ideal age to start pt school?

Members don't see this ad.

I was discussing this with a friend just last night - we both regret that we didn't realize we wanted to do PT earlier and wish we had enrolled in a program right after graduation. For reference, I graduated from undergrad in 2011 and he graduated in 2009. However, we both also realized that we weren't near ready for PT school when we were graduating undergrad. It's just not where we were in our lives. I think the ideal age to start PT school is really just whenever you're ready. We had no interest in going to graduate school when we were 21, enrolling then would have been a horrible idea. Earlier would have been better, but the motivation and desire has to be there.

Although I am not in a PT program at this minute, I think that you need to be at an age where you are mature enough to make this big of a decision. Whether you are 21 or older, you need to make sure it is
what you want to commit to for the next 3 years. Second, I feel that you must enjoy school to some degree if you absolutely hated your undergrad and couldnt wait to graduate, then going right into PT might not
be the smartest idea.

Members don't see this ad :)
There honestly is no ideal age. If you know you want to do it at 17, then try your best to get accepted as early as possible. If you decided you want to do PT at 45, then do your best to try to get accepted early as possible. I didn't pick a major until I was 23 in college, then took my pre reqs and started PT school at 25.

Now when I look back, of course I wished I started PT school at 21 because that gives me an extra 4 years of work. But in life you can say that about anything: "If only I did that earlier". So there is no ideal age. What if I started at 21 and failed out? You never know where life takes you. Just enjoy the ride.

Reactions: 1 user
Yea i agree with all of you, I was just thinking in regards to graduating, paying off loans, and seeing the fruits of your labor

The best time to start is when you are ready. If you're 30, don't say, "I wish I had started sooner." It's too late for that.

Yea i agree with all of you, I was just thinking in regards to graduating, paying off loans, and seeing the fruits of your labor
If it's strictly in regards to graduating, paying off loans, and working more years and retiring at 65? Then you answered your own question: as early as possible ;)

I'm 21 and in PT school right now. I'm so thankful I went straight from undergrad to PT school, but sometimes it takes some people a little while to discover their passion for PT. Additionally, as someone stated earlier, if you are burnt out after undergrad, its not a good idea to go straight to PT school. I'm the youngest person in my program, but we have people all the way up to 35 or 40 years old who are coming to PT school for a career change. Honestly, I don't think the age makes a difference. Everyone's life and everyone's path is a unique and I think its best to do what is best for you and your goals.

The best time to start is when you are ready. If you're 30, don't say, "I wish I had started sooner." It's too late for that.

I agree with your first sentiment.

However, I'm 33 and plugging away at my first year and am having the time of my life. It's one of the best decisions I've ever made and one of the coolest things I can think to do, except for the first thing I did :) So 30 is by no means too late. Life is long.

Keep in mind the generation that's entering PT school today will probably work until they're 75 or 80, or until their employers force them into retirement.

I would say the "perfect" age is the age at which you are ready to fully commit to a very rigorous schooling for the next 2.5-3 years of your life. If you aren't ready to make the commitment to all the stress of school, then you should wait. That being said, I don't mean to make school sound all doom and gloom, but it does take a lot of of you and you have to work hard and try not to get burnt out when you have 6 tests in 3 days, 4 papers due and 2 presentations... oh, and your personal life, too!

what do you guys think is the ideal age to start pt school?
I'm 20 and just finished my first quarter and I haven't had any issues thus far. Most of the time I actually feel like I have a leg up on some of my older classmates. If you can get into a competitive program you're probably old enough in my opinion, theres no specific right age