what is the difference between undergrad courses and Dental school courses?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blankguy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the difference between undergrad biochem, histology, physiology, microbiology, and anatomy and the equivalent dental school courses? I been told that equivalent medical school courses are more detailed. How is it more detailed if that is the case?

Members don't see this ad.

blankguy said:
What is the difference between undergrad biochem, histology, physiology, microbiology, and anatomy and the equivalent dental school courses? I been told that equivalent medical school courses are more detailed. How is it more detailed if that is the case?

blankguy - I have no idea, but I bet if you post this question in the dental forum, you may get responses. Good luck!

undergrad --> grades matter
dental school --> grades dont matter (unless you want to specialize)

Members don't see this ad :)
i am curious about this too, because i have taken basically every science class in the book in undergrad, and did excellent in them, and i feel like retaking the same classes in dental school is going to be kind of repetitive, unless dental school classes are a lot more in depth or something. did anyone here major in pre med biology or something like that before dental school? if so did the undergrad classes help out a lot when it came to those same classes in dental school?

I am under the impression based on some comments vaguely dealing with this from people I dealt (fellow premed/dent) that the undergrad courses are very general and that medical/dental courses are much more focused and detailed. Somebody correct me if I am wrong.

blankguy said:
I am under the impression based on some comments vaguely dealing with this from people I dealt (fellow premed/dent) that the undergrad courses are very general and that medical/dental courses are much more focused and detailed. Somebody correct me if I am wrong.

That is generally true, but it will depend on your schools, of course.

In dental school we've used a lot of the same textbooks that I used in my undergrad courses, but we've delved into them much more than the undergrad courses.

From what I hear.... It's the same material but presented different from the way it was given during undergrad... depending on which school you went to... you may be use to being 'spoon fed' with the ABC's of a particular subject but in dental school... you take giant leaps... along with other hard ass subjects and ...fill in the gaps that the professor left out in their lectures... on your own... this is pretty much the synopsis i received from two different friends in two very different programs... Just go to a dental school website and check out the curriculum... it's all pretty much the same... in the first two years... cuz thats what the NBDE part I covers... anatomy, histology, micro, immuno, biochem, and the biggie patho... just those classes give me the eebee jeebies... but check out what they also have installed for us... dental labs and courses... so the best advice I have heard is that you might not like the professors or the way you're taught in the school you get into... but tough... you paid your tuition... you accepted their school... you just have to suck it up and just study you ass off...

and one thing that was mentioned up above... grades may not matter to you but damn don't lose perspective on things... if you get below the pass line... or dangle on it.... you're risking it...

ItsGavinC said:
That is generally true, but it will depend on your schools, of course.

In dental school we've used a lot of the same textbooks that I used in my undergrad courses, but we've delved into them much more than the undergrad courses.

Could you give me a specific example so that I get a clearer picture on how the course elaborate more than undergrad?