what is the diff btw do and md

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

calidenti

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the simple question that everbody knows. What is the differences between an MD and a DO. thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I'm only replying because I have a question for you, too. If you're pre-dent/dent, which I am making a blind guess on, can you tell me what's the difference between a DDS and a DMD? I've always wondered, but never remembered to ask my dentist.
Anyway, the DO and MD degrees are viewed as equivalent by the AMA. The pre-reqs to get into either type of school are basically the same. Osteopathic medicine emphasizes that good health and proper function of the body is more easily attained if the musculoskeletal system is properly aligned, thus the need to study the most obvious difference between DO and MD training, osteopathic manipulative medicine (OMM, OMT, etc, depending on who you ask). Although many of the osteo schools focus on directing their students towards primary care, DOs can pursue any specialty they wish.
I'm sure there's many more eloquent people here that can answer your question to a greater extent. Hope my answer helps you a little.

I a DMD is one with both degrees? I got a friend who wants tobecome a oromaxillary surgeon. He would have to goto med school then 1-2 years in dent school?

or do dental school and then 2 years at med school?

Im not sure but I think its that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Here's something I've posted before in response to a similar question:

To understand Osteopathic medicine you have to go back & see why Dr. Still (who was an MD) started osteopathic medicine. Let me give you a bit of overview and perspective, but please don't consider this to be comprehensive & completely explanatory. He was practicing medicine in the 1800s, when medicine had little to offer patients, surgical procedures were traumatic (and had high mortaility rates), and many of the "medications" were toxic (or useless).

From his experiences working with patients, Dr. Still stated that the body is capable of healing itself (not, mumbo-jumbo...keep in mind what medicine consisted of in his day and age) and he began to study the human body in more depth, especially the musculoskeletal system. He also worked to determine why the body succombed to disease. Again, this line of thinking & study was unusual for physicians of the 1800s. In his research, he did find some manipulative techniques that improved some conditions for his patients (the beginning of osteopathic manipulative medicine/techniques...which has been tremendously expanded in the meantime). He also developed the "philosophy" of osteopathic medicine. Again, keeping in mind how radical this was for the time period, he wrote of "treating the whole person, not just the disease," and he stated that "the goal is to find health, anybody can find disease."

Osteopathic medicine has a stated philosophy/principles. You'll find slightly different wording from place-to-place, but here are the key principles:

1. the body is a unit: mind, body, spirit
2. the body is capable of self-regulation, self-healing, and health maintenance
3. structure and function are reciprocally interrelated
4. rational therapy is based upon the understanding of the first 3 principles

Although I know of no "stated philosophy" of allopathic medicine, these concepts are not foreign to MDs.

So basically, in a time when physicians could often do nothing or try things that too often caused the patient more harm, Dr. Still was practicing quite differently.

Now, by today's standards, the difference & the philosophy (in practice) are not tremendously different between MD & DO, but there are some. Obviously, DOs learn OMM (which some use and others do not). Also, there is an emphasis on the principles of osteopathic medicine during the clinical classes. Again, these principles are not something that MDs would disagree with, but in many (not all) allopathic schools they are not going to be regularly emphasized.

Here is something that I tell other BIO students. If you have studied BIO this should make sense:

Allopathic medicine (MD) focuses on the concept of reduction when diagnosing and treating disease

Osteopathic medicine focuses on the concept of reduction as well as the concept of emergence when diagnosing and treating disease.

Biologists use both concepts to study life, why don't MD's use both? :confused:
HTH

Ok, so I found out what's the difference between DDS and DMD. There is none. It's up to the dental school to decide what degree they award. Interesting... :confused:

Oh, btw, Luminous_1....good luck with Cal!!! I loved it...:clap:

The paradox of Osteopathy
"At the end of the century, osteopathy continues its uneasy dance with allopathy, but only one partner is really paying attention...Today osteopathy have moved close to the mainstream --close enough so that in general it is no longer alternative medicine. The long term survival of osteopathic medicine will depend on its ability to define itself as distinct from and yet still equivalent to allopathic medicine....the paradox is: if osteopathy has become the functional equivalent of allopathy, what is the justification for its continued existence? And if there is value in therapy that is uniquely osteopathic--that is based on osteopathic manipulation and other techniques--why should its use be limited to osteopaths?
Joel D. Howell, M.D.,Ph.D. University of Michigan Ann Harbor, MI 48109-0604
The New England Journal of Medicine November 4,1999; 341:1426-1431, 1465-1467.

Just thought I would post this again. Check out the full article and some of its references and it should provide you with a more complete picture.