This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Auntymarkovnikov

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any insight as to what time of day is ideal to take the DAT? Morning, afternoon, night? 8am, 12pm, 3pm, etc... ?
I am currently scheduled for August 3rd at 4pm but I'm thinking of switching to August 8th at 8am.

Members don't see this ad.

I started mine at 11am, I ate a light lunch/brunch before-hand and then drove over to the testing center. My testing center did NOT let me go to my locker for snacks/food, so just keep in mind you might not be able to eat lunch at the center.

Members don't see this ad :)
Doesn't matter in my opinion, as long as you've done practice tests the week or two before to adjust to that starting time.

I think it depends on when you start studying. I'm more of a night-owl than a morning person, so I usually started studying around noon and ended around 1am (with healthy breaks in between). I took my test at noon and I felt awake and comfortable. I think I'd be a bad idea to schedule for 8am if you're used to studying later; you want to be as comfortable as possible during that fun test time.

12 hands down. Who wants to wake up at 7 to take an exam

(Clearly jk it's whether you're a morning person or not haha. I would have done better right on. SAT if I couldn't have taken it at 12 lol)

Reactions: 1 users
I took mine at 1 pm, and it worked well for me, was able to get a good nights sleep as well as eat lunch right before the test, and wasn't too exhausted by the end of the test

Reactions: 1 user
I had pushed back my exam so I was stuck with a 4pm slot but luckily they had an opening and called me to take the exam early at noon. I think this is the best time and not too early in the day.

BRING SNACKS. You'll be exhausted after SNS and PaT so you need to refuel during break. Good ideas are water, apple sauce, fruit snacks, plain cheezits or plain goldfish.

Honestly having some food in me made finish strong in RC and QR . I think SNS and PAT take up More brainpower. So food is key. Good luck

And a nice dinner to celebrate after the exam isnt bad either :). I enjoyed a very fancy sushi buffet.

I had pushed back my exam so I was stuck with a 4pm slot but luckily they had an opening and called me to take the exam early at noon. I think this is the best time and not too early in the day.

BRING SNACKS. You'll be exhausted after SNS and PaT so you need to refuel during break. Good ideas are water, apple sauce, fruit snacks, plain cheezits or plain goldfish.

Honestly having some food in me made finish strong in RC and QR . I think SNS and PAT take up More brainpower. So food is key. Good luck

And a nice dinner to celebrate after the exam isnt bad either :). I enjoyed a very fancy sushi buffet.
Did you bring chipotle?:laugh:

No I didn't want to take the browns to the Super Bowl during my most important exam. FUn fact: I have worked there part time since the summer before college. Gotta love free chipotle
I eat there 3-4 times a week. In dental school (if i hopefully get in) illl get it 5 times a week cause no time to meal prep most likely

I eat there 3-4 times a week. In dental school (if i hopefully get in) illl get it 5 times a week cause no time to meal prep most likely
just skip the sour cream and cheese (which are awesome by the way) and load up on the salsa and veggies and thats a pretty healthy meal. I actually got sick of eating it since i worked there but now i miss it

What was the water situation like? Did you drink water before the exam? Did you drink water during break? Did you have to pee at all during the exam?

No I didn't want to take the browns to the Super Bowl during my most important exam. FUn fact: I have worked there part time since the summer before college. Gotta love free chipotle
Hahahahahaha I'm dead

What was the water situation like? Did you drink water before the exam? Did you drink water during break? Did you have to pee at all during the exam?
Hydration is also key. Make sure you pee before you leave the house and before the exam. But make sure you drink water or Gatorade. Pee during the break too, you have 30 mins.

Just putting this out here, but the prometric testing centers let you start earlier if you get there a bit earlier. I had a noon test and got to the prometric testing center at like 10:30 (because I couldn't sit around at home any longer). I checked in and they just let me start at like 10:50 or so.
They're flexible as long as the computers are open!

My friends also had the same experience at different testing centers in different states!

Sorry this isn't totally related to your question lol

Do your practice tests at whatever time and day of the week you schedule your actual exam so that when you go to take it, your brain is already used to it.

Do your practice tests at whatever time and day of the week you schedule your actual exam so that when you go to take it, your brain is already used to it.
lol no. if you're rested and you've taken a few practice tests in the weeks leading to the tests you're set!
don't think you need to automate the process. we're not robots! just have a study routine, take time to rest and refresh and you should be prepared for the testing experience

lol no. if you're rested and you've taken a few practice tests in the weeks leading to the tests you're set!
don't think you need to automate the process. we're not robots! just have a study routine, take time to rest and refresh and you should be prepared for the testing experience
It works for some people better than others. I did this for the DAT and I think it was beneficial but to each their own.:thumbup:

Just putting this out here, but the prometric testing centers let you start earlier if you get there a bit earlier. I had a noon test and got to the prometric testing center at like 10:30 (because I couldn't sit around at home any longer). I checked in and they just let me start at like 10:50 or so.

My friends also had the same experience at different testing centers in different states!

Wow that's awesome I'm definitely going to try and arrive early then, thanks

Mine was the same. I was scheduled for noon but got called the day before and was told I could start at 11 if I wanted to. I got there about 1030 to chill out and relax and they said I could start whenever; I think those rooms are very rarely filled-up completely.

I say 8 am just because I wanted to be done by noon and not have to wait around to take it. I was fully awake and alert even though I only slept like 4 hours due to nerves. The nerves kept me going.