What is the best route to PA from here?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Keegan1997

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a 20 year old soldier in the u.s Army and I aspire to be a PA one day. To give a brief history of my medical experience, I joined the reserves as a medic right out of high school at 18. I received my EMT-B through the combat medic training and returned home to my reserve unit as a medic. I went through paramedic school directly after I came home and made it all the way to the end, only to fall short of completing the program due to going active duty. I did receive a lot of amazing training and patient contacts through the program, along with working part time as an EMT and drilling with my unit. I am currently in Korea and I intend on starting college to knock out my pre-reqs for PA school and work on towards my bachelors. I was considering going through respiratory therapy school for my associates so I can gain more experience and to hold down a stable, healthcare-related job. From my current position, what would be the best route to becoming a PA?

Members don't see this ad.

I am currently a 20 year old soldier in the u.s Army and I aspire to be a PA one day. To give a brief history of my medical experience, I joined the reserves as a medic right out of high school at 18. I received my EMT-B through the combat medic training and returned home to my reserve unit as a medic. I went through paramedic school directly after I came home and made it all the way to the end, only to fall short of completing the program due to going active duty. I did receive a lot of amazing training and patient contacts through the program, along with working part time as an EMT and drilling with my unit. I am currently in Korea and I intend on starting college to knock out my pre-reqs for PA school and work on towards my bachelors. I was considering going through respiratory therapy school for my associates so I can gain more experience and to hold down a stable, healthcare-related job. From my current position, what would be the best route to becoming a PA?

You should consider MD/DO instead of PA. Don't take the easy route for 1/3 of the pay; keep up the hard work and set your goal on medical school. If you work toward med school and can't get in, then you should already have all the prereqs for PA school knocked out.

Try to get your undergrad knocked out while active duty while using tuition assistance, thus saving your GI bill for med school/PA school.

If I can't talk you into setting your goals higher and you are dead set on PA, then go to physicianassistantforum.com for much more advice.

Train hard, stay safe, and thank you for your service.

Reactions: 1 users
Keep taking classes and doing well in them. Respiratory therapy isn't necessary as an army medic is good experience.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I did almost exactly the same route, with a deployment also slowing down my education. While on active duty in Iraq I actually took correspondence courses and got some of the gen ed stuff done. College tuition is reimbursed while on active duty; take full advantage. I was writing papers with pen and paper and mailing them in from some real crap holes in Anbar province. You have a great opportunity to take classes for free and get closer to your goal. Whichever you choose, get those gen Ed’s done at a good state school that provides distance learning. You will thank your self a few years from now.

If you are still in the military the military offers a IPAP program that may be perfect for you.

Thank you for your service on this Veterans Day weekend! In my opinion, I wouldn’t bother with RT as a degree unless you actually wanted to do that - just take your prereqs for PA school as you’ve said.

Being an EMT and paramedic is excellent clinical exposure (I was one myself prior to MD school), will set your application up well for PA school applications. I’d just finish up the courses when you can and start getting together your application. If you need directed help consider setting up a meeting with with the admissions people at your nearest PA school when you are home on leave - they may have more direct advice for you. Good luck!

This is the exact route I’m doing while in active duty (preparing my packet for the 68V respiratory therapist specialty). However, I’m much older and have a wife with 2 kids. Negotiating my SRR until I re-up my service obligation for the switch will help not just for our own financial goals, but allow me to reinvent my GPA (older outdated grades) while getting that HCE / shadowing exposure up to par (while trying to compete for the IPAP).

If I was you however, no need to go the 68V route. Combat medic is the best exposure PA schools love to see (PA was designed based on the combat medic in mind). Use that TA and PROTECT THAT GPA. When the time comes, save money and use your GI Bill when it matters most...

PA or MD/DO route, you have the ability of starting off as a great applicant. All the best!