What is clinical research like?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NeuroResearch1996

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am hoping to be accepted into a clinical research program through the university hospital but I wanted to know what I will be getting myself into. Although I have a general idea what procedures are performed in clinical research, what should I expect from it?

One thing that I have to keep in mind is that I am working in a Neuroscience lab right now but it is bench research so completely different from clinical. Also, participating in the clinical research program will be volunteer work (unlike in the Neuroscience lab which is paid). I have had a PI not be too happy when he found out I was working in another lab at the same time previously so I don't want a repeat of that (but again, I would think that working in bench and clinical is not the same thing as two bench labs).

Finally, will it be a valuable experience for me overall? Me wanting to participate in the clinical research program is purely for experience and enjoyment of research, not a resume booster (as I was told that the prestige of clinical research pales in comparison to that of bench research for the programs I am interested in: MSTP). My long-term goal is to be a neuroscientist/physician with an MD-PhD so yes, I will be doing mainly bench research over clinical research.

Members don't see this ad.

If your goal right now is to be a basic scientist with an MD/PHD I see no value in doing unpaid clinical research. Focus your time and effort on your bench work, being productive and trying to get a publication. You gain nothing by spreading yourself thin.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I somewhat disagree with the above. If you want MSTP then yes focus on basic science research and be productive there. That said, as long as it doesn't detract from you other activities, I think the exposure to clinical research is valuable. It shows you the other side of the story. There are also quite a few MD/PhD programs (MSTP as well) including more translational and population health type degree and research options. It's good exposure and allows you to be more confident in the decision on where you ultimately want your focus to lie.

I've had the gamut from basic science, behavioral, clinical/translational, as well as global health population stuff. I'm glad I have those experiences in my background.