What is and OD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nysegop

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are the differences between an MD and an OD? Can OD graduates still get good residencies (ie. Surgery, Anesthesiology)? Are there any advantages to an OD? Disadvantages?

In title:
*An OD, not and OD.

***I do in fact mean DO.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
A cow getting whacked?

Members don't see this ad :)
But can you get residency as a DO graduate?

LOL

What's with the over-abundance of MD vs. DO threads, as of late. I mean, I know they've always been common, but it seems that the last few days have garnered a number of "what is DO?" questions. Seems like the AOA should spend some moneys promoting the field...or people should remove their heads from the dirt and read a little bit.

It is...was... I really didn't know very much about DO before I came to SDN.

so instead of randomly asking every question about a DO that comes to mind, read all the stickies, read around the forums, and do some of your own research. When you come off asking stupid questions like this, it pisses people off because the answers are so easily found if you just opened your eyes. It is like me driving up in my Dodge Durango and as soon as I step out of the car you run up and ask if my car is a Chevy Tahoe.

so instead of randomly asking every question about a DO that comes to mind, read all the stickies, read around the forums, and do some of your own research. When you come off asking stupid questions like this, it pisses people off because the answers are so easily found if you just opened your eyes. It is like me driving up in my Dodge Durango and as soon as I step out of the car you run up and ask if my car is a Chevy Tahoe.

You own a Chevy Tahoe?

LOL

What's with the over-abundance of MD vs. DO threads, as of late. I mean, I know they've always been common, but it seems that the last few days have garnered a number of "what is DO?" questions. Seems like the AOA should spend some moneys promoting the field...or people should remove their heads from the dirt and read a little bit.

Nope, it's just that people are gearing up to start a new application season, and suddenly people feel the need to "learn about DO" so they can apply.

Annoying, but it happens every year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nope, it's just that people are gearing up to start a new application season, and suddenly people feel the need to "learn about DO" so they can apply.

Annoying, but it happens every year.

LOL :smuggrin: yeah and they still won't get in due to insufficient time spent preparing. Nysegop, here's an idea go apply OD not DO or MD then you don't have to worry about residency at all. :smarty:

LOL :smuggrin: yeah and they still won't get in due to insufficient time spent preparing. Nysegop, here's an idea go apply OD not DO or MD then you don't have to worry about residency at all. :smarty:

Thanks, but no thanks.

Thanks, but no thanks.

Then start impressing us that you actually know what you're getting into. This field is very demanding, and requires that you know what you are getting into. I find it sad that you don't recognize this by now and can only chalk it up to never having done a significant amount of shadowing, if any.DOs are Physicians just like MDs. They become Surgeons, Radiologists, Interventional Rads, Orthopeadic Surgeons, Neurologists, etc just like MDs.

Then start impressing us that you actually know what you're getting into. This field is very demanding, and requires that you know what you are getting into. I find it sad that you don't recognize this by now and can only chalk it up to never having done a significant amount of shadowing, if any.DOs are Physicians just like MDs. They become Surgeons, Radiologists, Interventional Rads, Orthopeadic Surgeons, Neurologists, etc just like MDs.

When did I say it was easy or not demanding? Any medical career except for food service will be a challenge and demanding. I now know they can become virtually anything an MD can.

When did I say it was easy or not demanding? Any medical career except for food service will be a challenge and demanding. I now know they can become virtually anything an MD can.

We are not trying to put you down. We are actually trying to help you. There's a saying and I'm sure you've heard it before:

"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime."

We are attempting to do just this. When you ask Google about pre-medical and medical topics, you will often get results linking you to SDN. This is not a coincidence, it's because it has been discussed before, and quite frankly beaten to death, then beaten a little more.

EDIT: For the record, this is not the correct place for this thread. This is for school-specific discussions.

We are not trying to put you down. We are actually trying to help you. There's a saying and I'm sure you've heard it before:

"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime."

We are attempting to do just this. When you ask Google about pre-medical and medical topics, you will often get results linking you to SDN. This is not a coincidence, it's because it has been discussed before, and quite frankly beaten to death, then beaten a little more.

EDIT: For the record, this is not the correct place for this thread. This is for school-specific discussions.

How can you get an administrator to move it?

Didn't they just close a thread that you started elsewhere? Quit asking these questions before you get banned from this site. Dang. At least google the internet if you don't know how to do a search on SDN>

What rule did I break?

What rule did I break?
You are constantly trying to be demeaning toward DOs. You are implying that a DO is not a physician, doesn't go through Residency, etc. You really need to stop or as Cabinbuilder (a DO Attending by the way) is right and you are banned. The only thing that you are doing is proving to us that 1. You are not prepared to apply DO, so probably shouldn't. 2. You have completed very little if any shadowing, let alone working in healthcare. So stop, reassess, and learn to search or even read stickies before asking these ignorant questions. These questions that you consistently ask have been answered for years ad nauseaum. It's only a matter of time before the mods close this thread as well.

You are constantly trying to be demeaning toward DOs. You are implying that a DO is not a physician, doesn't go through Residency, etc. You really need to stop or as Cabinbuilder (a DO Attending by the way) is right and you are banned. The only thing that you are doing is proving to us that 1. You are not prepared to apply DO, so probably shouldn't. 2. You have completed very little if any shadowing, let alone working in healthcare. So stop, reassess, and learn to search or even read stickies before asking these ignorant questions. These questions that you consistently ask have been answered for years ad nauseaum. It's only a matter of time before the mods close this thread as well.

Quote something that I said which "demeans DOs", I was simply asking questions about them. Asking questions about a career implies that you are interested in it. I am interested in DOs.

I think there ought to be a law against dealerships charging old ladies $99 for reading a Check Engine Light.

I am confused!

yes...

the last thread by this same poster with the same topic turned into a discussion on gaming systems....

My favorite study snacks are peanut butter oreos, and doritos/salsa. Anyone else have go to snacks for studying?

I think the OP is just incredibly simple minded and honestly doesn't know a darn thing...

A little individual research before asking other people will go along way... I'm guessing hand-holding and medicine don't go well together...

What rule did I break?

Umm, if you would look at my signature you would see that I went to residency. Your question has no basis and looks like you are trying to put down DO's and start a flame war like you did on your last post. You need to QUIT ASKING DEMEANING QUESTIONS about DO's.

Why would a DO go though 4 years of medical school if they couldn't do a residency when you need a residency to get a license to practice medicine? Does that make any sense at all?

All we are saying is THINK about what you are asking because your questions are just insulting and ridiculous at best.

Umm, if you would look at my signature you would see that I went to residency. Your question has no basis and looks like you are trying to put down DO's and start a flame war like you did on your last post. You need to QUIT ASKING DEMEANING QUESTIONS about DO's.

Why would a DO go though 4 years of medical school if they couldn't do a residency when you need a residency to get a license to practice medicine? Does that make any sense at all?

All we are saying is THINK about what you are asking because your questions are just insulting and ridiculous at best.
Cabinbuilder, thanks for clarifying this for the OP.

Nysegop, your questions have been incredibly simple minded, arrogant, and demeaning toward DOs. DOs are licensed, board certified physicians that have also many times completed a fellowship. Cabinbuilder is an example of a fantastic physician who really cares about the upcoming DOs. Thus they choose to provide input in many threads that actually is worth its weight in gold. For that, and putting up with your demeaning questions you really should thank them, period. A friend of mine who recently graduated Western read through your posts and asked me are they serious, do they understand what they are getting into, etc (he is starting Residency and trust me if you were a student in his group, there is a good chance that he would flame you hard on rotations).

At this point in the game (reading from other posts you appear to be preparing to apply this year) you really should understand what a DO is, the differences, and why a school should accept you as a DO student and not be asking demeaning questions if you expect to be considered for any program.

Additionally, DOs are generally some of the nicest physicians that you will meet in any environment from surgery to emergency medicine (the last being incredibly hard to get into even as an MD due to the lifestyle offered). So, I would highly recommend doing a search or asking questions in a more professional manner.

I think the OP is just incredibly simple minded and honestly doesn't know a darn thing...

A little individual research before asking other people will go along way... I'm guessing hand-holding and medicine don't go well together...
I definitely agree. Hopefully my last post will help clarify how they should be asking questions and showing respect toward Attendings especially. Hand holding and medicine go together to a point, which they surpassed a long time ago in his first thread and again in this thread.

Non of my questions are demeaning. If you don't like them, don't bother replying to them.