What is a non-invasive orthopedic?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
C

cmudan

I have heard this term used a lot and haven't been able to come up with anything. I've also seen non-surgical orthopedic. I am just trying to compare it to PM&R. Anyone know about training? Programs? Procedures involved?

Is it just as competitive as orth surg?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

sounds like a sports med doc

Anyone who calls themselves an orthopaedist SHOULD have completed an OS residency. I know several OS who no longer cut, one due to age and another due to some neurological problems. There are two types of sports med fellowship -- one after OS and the other after primary care. Obviously, the FP with a sports medicine fellowship isn't doing surgery.

Ed

Members don't see this ad :)
many PM&R docs are an invaluable part of orthopaedic practices, as non-surgeons.

I'm familiar with PM&R docs as well as Sports Med Fellowship trained FPs who are considered to practice non-surg orthopedic medicine. I don't think they'd ever call themselves orthopedists. You will find many of these physicians in larger orthopedic groups.

-J