What I learned about step 1 in the past year [read me M1s]

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

witzelsucht

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What I was told last year: Pathoma, FA, UWorld. Do them all a bunch

What I bought/briefly tried: RR, Pathoma, FA, UsmleRx, Step 1 secrets, CMMRS, tons and tons of anki cards

What I am now realizing I should do: Pathoma, FA, Uworld, anki just for pharm and select items from pathoma

That is all, hope it helps

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
I hate to come across as a gunner, but should a person starting first just get the basic review books and use them to supplement lecture studying?

Wait until you actually start M1. You might not even have enough time to devote to supplemental resources.

Reactions: 1 user
Wait until you actually start M1. You might not even have enough time to devote to supplemental resources.
i always planned to do more than I actually did, and it wasnt because I wasn't working hard. Although many people who do well give the advice to ease into things and start off with less rather than more, everyone usually needs to come to the realization on their own and theres nothing wrong with that as long as your grades dont suffer. If I could do it over with the study system i have now, I def would have done things a bit differently from the beginning, but that the whole point: itt akes time and trial and error to develop your system. For the vast majority of people, no amount of planning will get you a perfect system you can jump right into on day one. Med school is not that hard, but it definitely an acquired skill. The most you can hope from advice here is that you get into your groove a little faster than you would otherwise, but IMO theres no getting around teh learning curve of how to learn. Dont sweat it tillyou have to. And I agree with the above poster that if FC works for you thats awesome but dont be wedded to it day 1 because i can imagine it can take an unecessary toll on your free time. Just cause doing the maximum may work doesnt mean that doing a little bit less wont work as well until you try it.

Reactions: 1 users
i always planned to do more than I actually did, and it wasnt because I wasn't working hard. Although many people who do well give the advice to ease into things and start off with less rather than more, everyone usually needs to come to the realization on their own and theres nothing wrong with that as long as your grades dont suffer. If I could do it over with the study system i have now, I def would have done things a bit differently from the beginning, but that the whole point: itt akes time and trial and error to develop your system. For the vast majority of people, no amount of planning will get you a perfect system you can jump right into on day one. Med school is not that hard, but it definitely an acquired skill. The most you can hope from advice here is that you get into your groove a little faster than you would otherwise, but IMO theres no getting around teh learning curve of how to learn. Dont sweat it tillyou have to. And I agree with the above poster that if FC works for you thats awesome but dont be wedded to it day 1 because i can imagine it can take an unecessary toll on your free time. Just cause doing the maximum may work doesnt mean that doing a little bit less wont work as well until you try it.

Agreed. My study methods now are drastically different than they were during anatomy/embryo (our first block). It took a little experimentation, but the biggest problem I faced was constantly worrying that my new method, plan, and technique would cause my grades to suffer.. I mean, you really don't know how well a different study method works until you get your test score back.

Personally I went from studying 10+ hours per day (in addition to the 3-5 hours of lecture per day) and 25+ hours on the weekend to now only putting in about 3-4 hours per weekday and maybe 16-20 on the weekend. I made the changes for many reasons, but mostly because I wanted to be more efficient (though at the time I didn't know if I could be more efficient) and I was worried I would get burned out at the worst possible time. And to be honest, I was constantly scoring just outside the top quartile of my class and I figured I would never be able to get into the top quartile so what was the point of killing myself studying? You can't be AOA if you're not in the top quartile, and if you're not AOA then you aren't viewed any better than the person at the bottom of the class.

It was extremely stressful when I first started cutting back my study hours. Everyday for 3 weeks (we have tests in ~3 week intervals) I was worried that I wasn't studying enough and that I didn't know the material as well as I usually did. I felt terrible the morning of the test because I was so overwhelmed with feelings of unpreparedness (for all previous tests I felt confident going in), but once I answered a few questions I realized that I knew the material just as well as I did in previous exams. Since then my scores have been steadily increasing and I've moved into the top 10% of my class overall.

tldr; For most people there is always a way to study more efficiently and find greater happiness during med school. This you probably already know and med students for generations to come will be telling it to pre-meds. What people don't tell you, and this is the trick to it in my opinion, is that improving yourself sometimes requires taking a small leap of faith (in yourself) and for most med students not being in control and not knowing the outcome is extremely disconcerting.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agreed. My study methods now are drastically different than they were during anatomy/embryo (our first block). It took a little experimentation, but the biggest problem I faced was constantly worrying that my new method, plan, and technique would cause my grades to suffer.. I mean, you really don't know how well a different study method works until you get your test score back.

Personally I went from studying 10+ hours per day (in addition to the 3-5 hours of lecture per day) and 25+ hours on the weekend to now only putting in about 3-4 hours per weekday and maybe 16-20 on the weekend. I made the changes for many reasons, but mostly because I wanted to be more efficient (though at the time I didn't know if I could be more efficient) and I was worried I would get burned out at the worst possible time. And to be honest, I was constantly scoring just outside the top quartile of my class and I figured I would never be able to get into the top quartile so what was the point of killing myself studying? You can't be AOA if you're not in the top quartile, and if you're not AOA then you aren't viewed any better than the person at the bottom of the class.

ABSOLUTELY WRONG.

Reactions: 1 user
???? How would a residency director know that you were #26 vs #100? This is assuming class rank, quartile, whatever, are not reported.

Even then, if only quartile is reported and you can't get in the top quartile, then #26 is the same as #50 (in a class of 100).

MSPEs from some schools go into a lot greater detail (not just quartiles necessarily).

MSPEs from some schools go into a lot greater detail (not just quartiles necessarily).

I should've clarified in my original post that I was talking only about schools that don't report things like class rank. Obviously if you have class rank, quartile, or something more detailed, then #26 is better than #100.

I should've clarified in my original post that I was talking only about schools that don't report things like class rank. Obviously if you have class rank, quartile, or something more detailed, then #26 is better than #100.

ALL schools report rank to residencies: whether that be specific class rank, quartile or some other segmentation, or specific "adjective".

It's possible to do 260+ with nothing but FA + UW. The resources (outside of UW) don't really determine your score, you do.

I'd say a supplemental path resource is borderline essential, but agree with the gist of the post

I used the Purple (now Red) Robbins Question book, which I think is quite good. There is an obsession on SDN with resources and study plans. That's all fine. But keep in mind most medical students, even successful ones, are not the same people that frequent this site. Several years ago when I was MS2, Pathoma, Firecracker, etc did not exist. Everyone used FA + a qbank. Goljan was also pretty popular, and some folks who found it difficult to focus bought DIT.

It's absolutely possible to have massive scores with limited resources just as it's possible to have a terrible score with them. Have no doubt though that someone who has truly internalized everything in UW has the capacity to do extremely well. You can throw an animated gif on it but it doesn't change much.