What I have to learn as a P3

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ultracet

1K Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you who are interested, these are our learning objectives for Cerebrovascular Accident. We only had 2 days of lecture but alas the professor wrote the chapter about it in Koda-Kimball....

1. Distinguish between ischemic stroke, transient ischemic attack, reversible ischemic neurological deficit, subarachnoid hemorrhage, and hemorrhagic stroke when given a description of a patient?s symptoms and clinical presentation.
2. Collect the appropriate diagnostic information needed for the development of a pharmacotherapeutic plan.
3. Discuss the epidemiology, economics, and personal impact of cerebrovascular accidents.
4. Explain the pathophysiology of ischemic stroke and intracerebral hemorrhage and utilize these concepts in the development of a therapeutic regimen.
5. Develop treatment guidelines on the use of thrombolytic agents, antiplatelet agents, and anticoagulants, for patients with ischemic stroke.
6. Establish appropriate treatment goals and approaches of control of blood pressure control for patients with an ischemic or hemorrhagic stroke.
7. Develop an initiate a rational treatment plan for patients with a TIA, acute ischemic stroke, or subarachnoid hemorrhage.
8. Establish a treatment plan designed to prevent ischemic stroke in patients with atrial fibrillation, carotid artery stenosis, or vertebral-basilar artery stenosis.
9. Design a therapeutic monitoring plan for patients receiving antiplatelet agents, anticoagulants, or thrombolytic agents in the prevention or treatment of cerebrovascular disease.
10. Identify at least 3 major issues in the rehabilitation of patients who have experienced an ischemic or hemorrhagic stroke that involve or alter pharmaceutical care.
11. Develop a pharmaceutical care plan for patients with swalloing difficulties, neurogenic bladder, neurogenic bowel, and spasticity following an ischemic or hemorrhagic stroke.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm with you bbmuffin. We run through a disease state in about 2 lectures & are responsible for the entire Koda-Kimble chapter on that disease, plus each medication used, dosing of that med, every side effect of that med, etc. All of our exams in therapuetics are case studies, so we are given test results, labs, etc and have to prescribe and dose. Sometimes the "patient" will present with symptoms that are side effects of a drug that they are already on, so we can't ever forget any of the previously learned material if we want to do well. At least I don't have to deal with a professor who wrote a chapter. Good Luck. :p

dgroulx said:
I'm with you bbmuffin. We run through a disease state in about 2 lectures & are responsible for the entire Koda-Kimble chapter on that disease, plus each medication used, dosing of that med, every side effect of that med, etc. All of our exams in therapuetics are case studies, so we are given test results, labs, etc and have to prescribe and dose. Sometimes the "patient" will present with symptoms that are side effects of a drug that they are already on, so we can't ever forget any of the previously learned material if we want to do well. At least I don't have to deal with a professor who wrote a chapter. Good Luck. :p

amen
my goal on this one is just to memorize the chapter i guess.....

on my last test we had a patient on vioxx and if you didn't d/c it you got counted off. thank goodness i did d/c it (and thought the teacher was a ***** for having it on there)

you have to go through their entire therapy regimen and see if anything shouldn't be there and if you miss something... BAM!
and heaven forbid you do something that kills someone because that's NO credit which they will be happy to point out is better than what would happen in the real world.

bah.... and all we're qualified to do is count by 5s....

Members don't see this ad :)
dgroulx said:
Sometimes the "patient" will present with symptoms that are side effects of a drug that they are already on, so we can't ever forget any of the previously learned material if we want to do well.

That's the way your patients will present. Realize this and the studying will be easier. Diseases (and most patients) don't read the textbooks to know "classical" presentations.

I sometimes wonder how much time and effort our dean must have put in to compile that textbook which has become a staple of any Therapeutics class now. Good luck with the class guys. :thumbup:

Pilot said:
That's the way your patients will present. Realize this and the studying will be easier. Diseases (and most patients) don't read the textbooks to know "classical" presentations.
well they ought to!!
lol i understand everything compound on each other i just think the initial amount is a lot.

dgroulx said:
South is set up the same way

i had to deal with toby trijilo who co-wrote the chapter on ACS. the man knows everything. but he was cool becasue he didn't expect us to. luckily our class isn't totally based on memorization, more on logic and reasoning, so even if you can't memorize worth a darn you can still do well, prob better than those that memorize, in the class.