What I changed and how it helped

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dtreese

Caramel Gollum
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just thought I'd toss a little bit of info into the ether in case it helps anybody. My first time applying was two years ago, and I didn't get in. Last year, I chose to halt my application process because a large number of family members were seriously ill simultaneously. This year, I got in under the wire (before my 35 MCAT expired).
I honestly think that the most important thing I did was to talk to the admissions director to find out why I didn't get in. ***Note that I only applied to one school. I had my reasons, but this is an extremely stupid move that no one else should repeat*** In my case, I was fine academically, but my interviews did not go well, and I didn't have any recent clinical experience. The first part surprised me, because I thought the interviews seemed fairly low-key, and I felt confident during them. It turns out that, in trying not to sound cheesy or insincere, I had failed to communicate just how strong my feelings about medicine were.
So here's what I changed. First, I've been volunteering at the University Hospital ER since the summer. That's time that I will never regret investing -- and I don't mean investing in the application process, I mean investing in the community. Working at the ER is the first thing I've done since I moved here in 1997 that has made me feel like a worthwhile citizen. It's too much fun working with the patients!!!
Second, when I had the good fortune of going in for interviews this time, I was EXTREMELY direct with my interviewers about what I wanted them to know. I told both of them that I had discussed why my previous interviews did not go well. Because I had interviewed before and because I was so up front with the interviewers, we were able to direct most of the interview time toward my explaining to them why I want to be a physician and just how badly I do want it.
By finding out what my mistakes were before, I was able to fix them. I am so glad that I talked to the director of admissions -- after all, I'm not psychic, so asking what the school thought of me allowed me to affect the appropriate changes.
And it all worked. I got my acceptance letter this week. :) So to all you fellow re-applicants, continue to persevere. There IS an acceptance letter at the end of the tunnel. And remember, your corner is crowded, because everybody here at SDN is in it. :clap:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
awesome post!! congratulations on the acceptance. thanks for sharing the changes you made. even though 2005 will be my first time applying, the changes you made remind me of what I should do the first time around. so thanks for thinking of others. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Members don't see this ad :)
that was an excellent post, thanks for sharing the info! :clap:

Wonderful job!!!!