What Happens to Pharmacists if the Heath care bill passes tonight ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

keyy200tx

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am trying to study for chemistry test on Tuesday, but it seems like this bill will pass tonight. If it final becomes law.What will happen to Pharmacists and other health care providers.
Will we suffer or gain ?

Members don't see this ad.

I am trying to study for chemistry test on Tuesday, but it seems like this bill will pass tonight. If it final becomes law.What will happen to Pharmacists and other health care providers.
Will we suffer or gain ?

According to the NY Times

"Drug makers, meanwhile, may have the most clear reason to celebrate the legislation. Pharmaceutical companies are going to be asked to contribute $85 billion toward the cost of the bill in the form of industry fees and lower prices paid under government programs over 10 years. But they can look forward to tens of billions of dollars in additional revenue as more people with insurance visit doctors and fill prescriptions. The legislation will also eventually close the gap in Medicare drug coverage, known as the doughnut hole, in which elderly patients must pay for prescription drugs rather than having them covered by the government. Many chose to stop taking their medicine or switched to lower-price generics.

And significantly, the legislation allowed the drug industry to “avoid any of the issues that were particularly of concern — price control or more regulation by the federal government,” said Barbara Ryan, an analyst with Deutsche Bank."

I like it. More people will be covered by insurance so they're likely to use health services and want lots of medications. What I also like is the proposal to close the krispy hole for seniors who, now, will be able to lower their out of pocket expenses. And thirdly to pay doctors who practice primary care ie. those who are more likely to write prescriptions. Will this drive up business for the pharmacies? I would like to think so.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think we are going to be negatively affected much...people still need medication and now more people than ever are going to fill scripts. I also think many pharmacists are going to take on additional provider type roles traditionally reserved for doctors only- we are already giving vaccinations. On the reservations, many pharmacists are allowed to dispense medications as they see fit (although technically under the supervision of an MD who may or may not be actually there) and will actually give a sort of "check up" if you will.

I kinda wish that if business increases for pharmacists and all these chain pharmacies are making more money, that they can afford to pay techs more than they do. 10 bucks an hour for all the work they do really does suck.

No, you are completely screwed. Do you think the government will let you make 100,000k a year without regulation? Do you think somehow you will not have to pay more taxes? Do you have a clue how much taxes someone with a 6-figure salary pays now? Or maybe you think that is unfair so stick it to them!

What makes you think Obama will stop here? Oh, in case you missed it, he just piggy-backed a student loan takeover in the health care bill. So now you are double-screwed. Tell me one government program that works? And where exactly will the money for the bill come from?

Capitalism died tonight, and so did your future large salary. If you think I am wrong, why not see how pharmacists are regulated in Canada and the UK. But don't worry, Obama will forgive your student loan. You just will not have any money because you will be paying taxes at the rate of Sweden. But hey, you will have free health care, even if you wait 2 years for that hip replacement and die of infection in the crappy hospitals.

Woot, time to go to culinary school.

Do you think the government will let you make 100,000k a year without regulation?

Yes, there will not be a drastic reduction in salaries.

I think you're really off-base with a lot of that drivel-sounding stuff and I hope you had some /sarcasm/ going on in there.

No, I have lived with a serious 6-figure salary and watched it taxed away. I just want the freedom to spend my hard-earned money they way I want and not be told by the government what to do.

No, I have lived with a serious 6-figure salary and watched it taxed away. I just want the freedom to spend my hard-earned money they way I want and not be told by the government what to do.

Whine whine whine.

I want a bigger cookie than everyone else has.

You have such good ideas, maybe it's not too late for you to go to Harvard Law and run for office.

Why not truck driving school?
Because I love cooking, and I hate driving smelly ass big trucks.

No, I am not whinning. I am replying to your stupid response to my opinion. I am against further governmental regulation. And I do think it will have an adverse affect on pharmacy just as it does on doctors. Many refuse to see Medicaid patients because they lose so much money. Walgreens in Washington just announced they would stop taking Medicare scripts next year. So health care does limit, not expand.

Wow, if you think I am whinning, why don't you just go and pay more taxes?

Are you always as ass?

No, you are completely screwed. Do you think the government will let you make 100,000k a year without regulation? Do you think somehow you will not have to pay more taxes? Do you have a clue how much taxes someone with a 6-figure salary pays now? Or maybe you think that is unfair so stick it to them!

Please go look up how much clinical pharmacists at VA hospitals make (with INCREDIBLE govt. benefits) and then come back kthx.

You're right we won't make 100k a year, with this bill and the increased job demands that will likely ome with it, we very likely will make significatly more!

Members don't see this ad :)
This health care issue is really so divided like many Republican and Democratic ideologies. Only time will tell, who is right and who is wrong. My advice is to try to get the most from the government now while most of us are still poor, because like endospore said we will be paying it all back plus some. That's the price we pay to live in the U.S. though. The real problem is when the federal deficit kills our whole economy...we our on our way to becoming the next Greece.

P.S.

If you really have a "serious" 6 figure income (aka >500k/year) you are an idiot for having it all taxed away. You are clearly not smart enough to keep your money. Get off this forum and find a competent CPA/tax attorney.

We will suffer some pay cut...... you better go to truck driving school...
We will suffer like Pharmacists in Canada and Europe. work more and get less pay.... anything government does not work so well.

Let's not be alarmist now...let's just cool off first and maybe actually read the bill for ourselves. It is on CSPAN's website. I will be reading it after I enjoy these extra crispy hot wings and my root beer :)

With this bill we will be just one step closer to third world status than we were before. Wastrel communists with their populist sales pitch, legislative majority, and demonstrated commitment to corporate welfare, are just about the worst combination we could have in place. No matter where the salary goes, we will all be making less and poorer in real terms, regardless of the nominal numbers. Traitors used to be hung, now they run the asylum.

So, optimistically, don't worry about this particular bill, it's just one of many nails in the coffin :)

It is appalling that you are against poor people having more access to health care. Yeah, sure, I guess it's okay for that poor 5 year old girl who lives near the dumpster in the street with a leg infection to not get healthcare because her mom can't afford it since she's been out of a job. You really shouldn't be serving people at all if your prime concerns are "well, wah, what will happen to my 6-figure salary?" Truly sad.

This will definitely increase pharmaceutical demands. It looks like pharmacists can win from this.

With that said... remember medicare part D that was passed 8 years ago? It was a huge headache, a LOT of independent pharmacies went out of business due to lack of cash flow, etc.

Pharmacists can expect their careers to be similar to the careers of teachers, which is another vastly government-controlled, union-run career. We always hear teachers whining about how low paid they are; this will soon be the case for doctors, pharmacists, and nurses.........

Now here's my question, the Asheville Project displayed, quite clearly, how effective the role of a pharmacist can play in a community in a health and fiscal conscious manner.

Why on earth that has not evolved and been adopted elsewhere, I have no idea.

People need to learn that you can't always see clearly where a cost savings is. Sometimes its not fully quantifiable.

Pharmacists can expect their careers to be similar to the careers of teachers, which is another vastly government-controlled, union-run career. We always hear teachers whining about how low paid they are; this will soon be the case for doctors, pharmacists, and nurses.........

Yes, because teachers receive the exact same amount of schooling as medical professionals.

Oh, and did you hear the sky is falling down too?

What surprises me about this whole discussion is how much people are focusing on SALARIES, instead of the fact that we will be insuring MILLIONS OF AMERICANS who right now have no access to health care.

What makes you think Obama will stop here? Oh, in case you missed it, he just piggy-backed a student loan takeover in the health care bill. So now you are double-screwed. Tell me one government program that works? And where exactly will the money for the bill come from?

Capitalism died tonight, and so did your future large salary. If you think I am wrong, why not see how pharmacists are regulated in Canada and the UK. But don't worry, Obama will forgive your student loan. You just will not have any money because you will be paying taxes at the rate of Sweden. But hey, you will have free health care, even if you wait 2 years for that hip replacement and die of infection in the crappy hospitals.

R.I.P Capitalism :(

The insurance industry, which spent millions on advertising trying to block the bill, would come under new federal regulation.
--MSNBC

At least my wife will make tons of dough in a vastly unregulated field of law.

Sweet!

My miniscule salary can just be mad money for vacations. Works for me.

It's the work I enjoy anyway.

lol. Teacher unions ruin education ... but thats a whole 'nother story.

R.I.P Capitalism :(

--MSNBC

Haven't you heard? The Texans are now referring to Capitalism as a "free-enterprise system" ... Capitalism carries a bad connotations that the right wing wants to get rid of.

Who knows? Republicans say the bill will increase the deficit, Dems say it will decrease it.

And neither group you mentioned has an agenda at all. Look, nobody really knows what's gonna happen in the near future. We're all just going to have to wait and see. If this doesn't work, we'll do something to change it, but right now, nobody can be completely sure of what our future will bring. I for one had no idea 9 years ago that when Bush was elected our country would hit the crapper. Lesson learned and the country did something about it. For all the Right wing conservatives who are getting angry about this, just realize that if Bush didn't screw the country so badly, Obama might not be in office and this bill probably wouldn't have been passed.

I thought they removed any kind of "universal health care" option. I couldn't get a clear answer on what was in it (local churchgoers were flying into tizzies because the word "abortion" popped up in the news, so they instantly opposed anything said after that) and what was taken out.

Doctors in the UK don't live pauper lives. As indicated before, we're pursuing a level of education beyond that of your average high school teacher. Am I going to be driving the super-whamadyne porsche cayman b-type with spoiler? No, but I wasn't going to before healthcare reform either. :smuggrin:

Besides, it's only passed the House (on STRICTLY party lines). We still have the Senate vote to watch...

Azn, I hope you're not blaming G.W. for this mess.

A lot of things that we're experiencing now could've been avoided had good ol' Non-inhaler made some better choices.

And it ALL started with Reagan's nonsense "trickle down" crap. Give more money to rich people, and will they pass it on? Hell no, they'll save it... that's why they're rich and we're not.

Which mess are you referring to? I was just saying that if Bush hadn't left this country in so much of a mess economically(not all his fault, sometimes that's just how the cycle goes), then the democrats wouldn't have gotten so many people elected and Obama might not be president right now. Without the control in the senate and the presidency, there's no way this law would have passed.

Which mess are you referring to? I was just saying that if Bush hadn't left this country in so much of a mess economically(not all his fault, sometimes that's just how the cycle goes), then the democrats wouldn't have gotten so many people elected and Obama might not be president right now. Without the control in the senate and the presidency, there's no way this law would have passed.

And maybe Al Gore would be president and millions of bucks would be put into Climategate B.S....

The Blame Game isn't what we need right now. What we DO need, who knows.

And maybe Al Gore would be president and millions of bucks would be put into Climategate B.S....

Pfft, he would have made a division in the Marines to hunt the manbearpig. He wouldn't waste time on the climate, his true passion lies with the manbearpig!~

Doctors in the UK and Japan= National Health .. are suffering.... Their Pharmacists are very poor compared to someone working at your local grocery store........ I am not into Pharmacy because of the pay,but because of the passion for it...... BUT we all need to enjoy a good life after going thru 4 yrs of education.....

All in all, I like the loan 4giveness for Pharmacy students... but the pay cut is not good

Doctors in the UK and Japan= National Health .. are suffering.... Their Pharmacists are very poor compared to someone working at your local grocery store........ I am not into Pharmacy because of the pay,but because of the passion for it...... BUT we all need to enjoy a good life after going thru 4 yrs of education.....

All in all, I like the loan 4giveness for Pharmacy students... but the pay cut is not good

Because I am blind and can't find where you guys are reading about this Loan Forgivenss = Pay Cut part of the bill, can anyone link it to me?

And we can compare other countries to America but it has never worked and will continue to never work. Economically speaking, quantitative salaries cannot just be reduced out-right. It doesn't happen. Ever. There is no legal precedent to that occurring. Pharmacists in other countries have always made that wage, so it's not like one day they magically got a 35% pay cut, or something.

INdeed, our dollar may over all be worth less in the near future, so $100,000/yr now might not be $100,000/yr later but the same goes for everyone. I simply cannot see how even in the next 5-10 years our salaries will nominally decrease at all. They may not increase quite in line with cost of living but like I said before I'm not entirely convinced that almost everyone else isn't in the same lead battleship that we are.

Because I am blind and can't find where you guys are reading about this Loan Forgivenss = Pay Cut part of the bill, can anyone link it to me?

And we can compare other countries to America but it has never worked and will continue to never work. Economically speaking, quantitative salaries cannot just be reduced out-right. It doesn't happen. Ever. There is no legal precedent to that occurring. Pharmacists in other countries have always made that wage, so it's not like one day they magically got a 35% pay cut, or something.

INdeed, our dollar may over all be worth less in the near future, so $100,000/yr now might not be $100,000/yr later but the same goes for everyone. I simply cannot see how even in the next 5-10 years our salaries will nominally decrease at all. They may not increase quite in line with cost of living but like I said before I'm not entirely convinced that almost everyone else isn't in the same lead battleship that we are.

Obama mentioned loan forgiveness in his State of the Union address ... but I think this whole pay cut thing is another one of the pre-pharm panic attacks/conspiracy theories (We won't have jobs in the future! zomg too many Pharmacists!)

Obama mentioned loan forgiveness in his State of the Union address ... but I think this whole pay cut thing is another one of the pre-pharm panic attacks/conspiracy theories (We won't have jobs in the future! zomg too many Pharmacists!)

I mean, honestly, part of the reason why we "need" to be paid so much is the ridiculous amount of money that our schooling costs, so if we didn't have to take out $100,000+ in loans (not everyone does, granted, but for the sake of argument here) then a lower salary wouldn't be such a bad thing.

IN fact, the leading law school that my wife's looking at going to offers a full forgiveness of the cost of attendance if the new graduate agrees to do 3 years of "pro bono" work in the community after passing the BAR...

I really didn't think I was blaming anybody, but you're allowed an opinion. I for one am just happy that we are finally attempting to try something new to help fix health care. Lord knows it won't be perfect, but something had to be done. Hopefully this first step can lead to new ideas and policies in the future that can be a balance where those who don't have health care can afford it and us professionals and soon to be professionals can still maintain their lifestyles and be happy. Time will tell.

lol. Teacher unions ruin education ... but thats a whole 'nother story.

Really? The funny thing is, NYC teachers I believe are in a union but they are paid a lot less than the teachers out here on Long Island who don't have unions. (A lot of teachers try to get jobs in Long Island.)