What happens if you graduate a year early?

panvard92

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How does this work out? For MCATs and stuff? And will this help/hurt in any way? Is it even considered?

Any info would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

You would have to take your MCAT before applying, and since you'd be applying at the end of sophomore year, it would be ideal to take the MCAT before then. This will most likely just hurt your application, because you will have one less year to gather ECs and other amazing experiences to talk about during interviews. However, officially, adcoms do not mind early graduates.

The only reason, in my opinion, to graduate early is due to monetary concerns. If that is the case, even taking a year off after three years of college to get a decent job and experience the "real world" for once, while still engaging in ECs, would look much better.

All that said, if you still want to enter medical school after three years of college, go ahead and do it. It certainly has been done many times before. But...do consider slowing down and enjoying your life while you still have the chance.

You would have to take your MCAT before applying, and since you'd be applying at the end of sophomore year, it would be ideal to take the MCAT before then. This will most likely just hurt your application, because you will have one less year to gather ECs and other amazing experiences to talk about during interviews. However, officially, adcoms do not mind early graduates.

The only reason, in my opinion, to graduate early is due to monetary concerns. If that is the case, even taking a year off after three years of college to get a decent job and experience the "real world" for once, while still engaging in ECs, would look much better.

All that said, if you still want to enter medical school after three years of college, go ahead and do it. It certainly has been done many times before. But...do consider slowing down and enjoying your life while you still have the chance.

I agree with all of the above. Medical schools will be hesistant about lack of experience, and the limited time to take pre-reqs and study for the MCAT will also be difficult. If you want to graduate early, I'd say definitely take a year off between undergrad and med school. If at all possible, I'd advise not to graduate early. College is a lot of fun, don't rush to get out into the real world. Enjoy it while you can!

Members don't see this ad :)

But when you're applying in your "senior year" (which doesn't exist because you graduated early), won't you have just the summer of junior for more experiences? And maybe sept-nov-ish. Is that enough to make a differnece? (oh wait...you have +whole of junior year too...:idea:)

It's still a whole extra summer where you could be doing research or interning somewhere though. I guess you could always apply... but why the rush?

But when you're applying in your "senior year" (which doesn't exist because you graduated early), won't you have just the summer of junior for more experiences? And maybe sept-nov-ish. Is that enough to make a differnece? (oh wait...you have +whole of junior year too...:idea:)

Haha, exactly. It is enough to make a difference, if you use it well. For example, spending the entire year working in some medical-related occupation would be beneficial in many ways, by providing you with experience in the real world, money to fund your education, time to rack up more ECs, and time to relax a bit before plunging into the rest of your life!

However, definitely stay in college for four years if you can, because the added bonus of summer research opportunities (possible only when enrolled in a college), study abroad, internships, and increased opportunities to gain leadership experience can be highly helpful! Don't forget: it only gets harder from here! Why rush it?

How does this work out? For MCATs and stuff? And will this help/hurt in any way? Is it even considered?

Any info would be appreciated!

Please, please, don't do this. It's not worth it. You need at least one semester to just slack the f*** off. That's what your senior year, 2nd semester is for. Med school's already in the bag, you just need to take 4 physical health & wellness classes and a film discussion class. The rest is all parties, sleeping in, and hanging out with friends.

Sure, volunteer, do research, round yourself out, but also appreciate that the real world is one step closer. Seriously, you've got ~30 years to be a doctor. No need to rush it by one year.

Hey, quick response here, yes, you could still apply technically when others do. However, if you do all your experience after you graduate, also after you apply, so how will you put it on applications. I wouldn't advice it.

I originally planned on graduating in 3 years and going straight to med school. I ended up graduating in 3 years and am now working a year before starting med school in the fall. I have to say that it was the best decision I ever made. Like everyone is saying, you will have a whole year's worth of experiences to write about on your application and talk about at your interviews. Many schools look favorably on candidates who take a year or more off as well.

I do know of people who have gotten into great schools and did not take a year off after graduating in 3 years but they are the very rare exceptions.

yeah that was originally my thought...graduate and get a job in the year...

will it look weird if you're applying for a MD but did a lot research (even in the year that you took off)...I mean, I know the interview ppl ask why you would rather be a doctor than go into academic medicine....and doing research for a lot of years doesn't really help the case....:confused:

I'm doing a year of research in my year off. You can still be a doctor if you go into academic medicine. I was asked why I didn't want to do an MD/PhD at a couple interviews and I explained that while I wanted to pursue research, I didn't think a PhD was necessary to do so.