What happens if you get kicked out of residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
None of you guys are more careful regarding social media or going out, actions, etc because you know you will be becoming a professional?

And not all millennials are the same.

The rest of us, many of us, went from undergrad, med school, residency, etc as well and don't act like brats.

I'm no more careful than I would be if I were doing any other job. I don't do the most stupid !@#$ when I go out because I don't want a felony record and because it's known to be stupid for a reason. On the list of motivators, the fact I'm a physician doesn't really make the top 10.

Sounds scientifically valid.
I'm sorry that unlike your "Lower GPAs, MCAT scores, and willingness to go to the Caribbean is definitely correlated with irresponsible behavior" statement, all I have to offer is a few anecdotes. Where was your prospective cohort study published? JAMA or NEJM?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
please cite your sources..otherwise its just your opinion

and at least they don't actually kill people *cough* craigslist killer is BU med student *cough*...
I'm sorry that unlike your "Lower GPAs, MCAT scores, and willingness to go to the Caribbean is definitely correlated with irresponsible behavior" statement, all I have to offer is a few anecdotes. Where was your prospective cohort study published? JAMA or NEJM?
Since I dedicate all my time to appeasing my fellow anon forum posters, which 1,000 papers would you like first?

"academic performance vs. incidence of irresponsible behavior" or "risky behavior No.1 vs. risky behavior No.2". But paradoxically, JAMA and NEJM don't seem to publish such insightful unpredictable studies.

Reactions: 1 user
Since I dedicate all my time to appeasing my fellow anon forum posters, which 1,000 papers would you like first?

"academic performance vs. incidence of irresponsible behavior" or "risky behavior No.1 vs. risky behavior No.2". But paradoxically, JAMA and NEJM don't seem to publish such insightful unpredictable studies.

so what are you? (seriously) a DO that hates being compared to IMGs, an AMG who feels that his superiority over I/FMGs is not being taken into consideration, or an intern who is being shown up by a caribbean grad? your hatred and condescension doesn't come from just perceived ideas...

Where does a quality doctor begin?

This may sound like a silly question, but it isn’t. Quality begins in the selection process for medical school. Competition is steep and only women and men of strong intellect with moral and ethical character should be considered. Good doctors are produced from good stock. You simply can’t produce a masterwork from a flawed canvas, but it takes more.

Once matriculated and study begins meticulous attention and care must be available in training. Troubling signs that a student is not a good fit for the profession should be addressed and corrected. If not able to be remediated the student should not graduate. Awarding an individual with a medical degree who has been observed to have potentially dangerous character flaws while under the close observation of professors and clinical teachers is an egregious error and a system failure. The American public deserves the best and the brightest. All medical schools should strive to deliver to post-graduate training high quality graduates who have already been instilled with the moral and ethical qualities desired in a good physician or surgeon as well as a sense of responsibility and work ethic which this difficult career requires.
https://d4pcfoundation.org/a-practi...to-the-consumer-reports-safe-patient-project/

I'm no more careful than I would be if I were doing any other job. I don't do the most stupid !@#$ when I go out because I don't want a felony record and because it's known to be stupid for a reason. On the list of motivators, the fact I'm a physician doesn't really make the top 10.

Im not just referring to felonies. I don't post pics, etc as I don't want patients to see them.

so what are you? (seriously) a DO that hates being compared to IMGs, an AMG who feels that his superiority over I/FMGs is not being taken into consideration, or an intern who is being shown up by a caribbean grad? your hatred and condescension doesn't come from just perceived ideas...
Perish the thought that caribbean vs. AMG student bodies aren't equivalent in every way. Obviously just hating.

On a serious note, I'm skeptical your defense of this woman would be as great if she didn't go to your alma mater. Remembering other threads, you seem to stop at nothing to elevate carib grads.

She's DOA on a new residency. She already had the strike against her for going to the Caribbean.
There is no reason for a program to take the chance and real possibility of bad publicity to hire her.
Having said that, her laser hair removal center will probably pay better than neurology ever would, so she'll laugh all the way to the bank in 10 years time.

--
Il Destriero

Reactions: 1 users
Perish the thought that caribbean vs. AMG student bodies aren't equivalent in every way. Obviously just hating.

On a serious note, I'm skeptical your defense of this woman would be as great if she didn't go to your alma mater. Remembering other threads, you seem to stop at nothing to elevate carib grads.
then you have reading comprehension issue as well if that is all you have taken from my posts...

i'm very realistic about the pros and cons of going offshore and how that has changed over the last decade or so and have given my advice accordingly...but, just because one is accepted to a USMD school doesn't mean that you are automatically the best thing since sliced bread and the best doctor possible...there are plenty of posts here on sdn that show that just because you are an AMG doesn't mean you are guaranteed to match or keeps you from being fired from your residency...

the flasher in Pa (USMD), the camera guy in NY(DO) and this girl (IMG)show you that a degree doesn't define who is going to misbehave to the point of losing your job...there was an article something like 20 years ago in JAMA maybe that showed that those that were disciplined by their respective state medical boards were at some point in trouble and disciplined in med school and residency

your posts however give a perception of being a misogynistic xenophobe...who knows, maybe they are the only threads that get your attention.

Last edited:

actually having been to school with both (my Masters was with USMD students) they aren't that far apart...USMD students may study hard, but they party just as hard...

actually having been to school with both (my Masters was with USMD students) they aren't that far apart...USMD students may study hard, but they party just as hard...
how do you get a "masters with USMD students"? And this isn't about partying, you're diverting the issue.

then you have reading comprehension issue as well if that is all you have taken from my posts...

i'm very realistic about the pros and cons of going offshore and how that has changed over the last decade or so and have given my advice accordingly...but, just because one is accepted to a USMD school doesn't mean that you are automatically the best thing since sliced cake and the best doctor possible...there are plenty of posts here on sdn that show that just because you are an AMG doesn't mean you are guaranteed to match or keeps you from being fired from your residency...
Cute. Because that's obviously what I said.
the flasher in Pa (USMD), the camera guy in NY(DO) and this girl (IMG)show you that a degree doesn't define who is going to misbehave to the point of losing your job...there was an article something like 20 years ago in JAMA maybe that showed that those that were disciplined by their respective state medical boards were at some point in trouble and disciplined in med school and residency
let's just forget sample sizes.
your posts however give a perception of being a misogynistic xenophobe...who knows, maybe they are the only threads that get your attention.
misogynist? oh right, she's female. Xenophobe? carrib students are typically american, no? How did I get promoted from condescending hater to misogynist xenophobe?

Edit: Help clarify for us, am I a supposed xenophobe because the university is in the Caribbean or because the woman is not Anglo-American? Since I have never made any comments about Caribbean nations, non-majority ethnicities, or women - it's a little hard to follow.

Last edited:
how do you get a "masters with USMD students"? And this isn't about partying, you're diverting the issue.

i was undecided about leaving academia to go to medical school so ended up taking the 1st year classes at the med school in town, decided it was what i wanted to do, took the 2nd year of classes which allowed me to do a non thesis Masters (already did a thesis Masters ) to make the classes count for something since i had decided not to finish the Ph.D and switched gears to get the MD...given my age and particularly my abysmal UG gpa, was waitlisted at US schools (x 2 years) and accepted to a new (charter class) DO school and 3 Caribbean schools, I weigh my options went off to school...got me to where i wanted...

i'm not diverting the issue...students with and without problems come in every form...and they can be in USMD programs as well as other places...

you really will need to get over your aversion given that in almost any field you will have to work with lots of foreign educated physicians and many of them will be from the caribbean schools...

Cute. Because that's obviously what I said.
let's just forget sample sizes.

misogynist? oh right, she's female. Xenophobe? carrib students are typically american, no? How did I get promoted from condescending hater to misogynist xenophobe?
remember your posting history is visible to all...you have ranted against those truly foreign grads that come here with no student debt and the female US med student that was upset by a comment her mentor made that led her to not want him involved in her hooding...along with this thread, it is the person that you put out.

remember your posting history is visible to all...you have ranted against those truly foreign grads that come here with no student debt and the female US med student that was upset by a comment her mentor made that led her to not want him involved in her hooding...along with this thread, it is the person that you put out.
I actively invite people to look at my posting history. In a nutshell: I, like almost everyone, support USMD/DO getting preferential treatment in the match. I'm also one of many posters that disagreed with the way a particular med student threatened the career of a former mentor - the med student was female.

For the future, kindly list all the categories you belong to - female, carrib student, ethnicity? So I can avoid disagreeing with the actions of anyone who happens to share one with you.

I actively invite people to look at my posting history. In a nutshell: I, like almost everyone, support USMD/DO getting preferential treatment in the match. I'm also one of many posters that disagreed with the way a particular med student threatened the career of a former mentor - the med student was female.

For the future, kindly list all the categories you belong to - female, carrib student, ethnicity? So I can avoid disagreeing with the actions of anyone who happens to share one with you.

:bang:

At least we aren't talking about the woman's breasts anymore. Progress has been made, 2016 is looking brighter!

Don't know if serious or joking, it way to early in morning and reading comprehension hasn't kicked in yet. I'll go with serious

I would be just as disgusted with a guys behavior and lack of professionalism as I am with hers. I would think the same things if a dude was posting this self absorbed photos in swimsuits and or had tattoos that made my eyes roll so far back into my skull that it would take a neurosurgeon to dig them back out. Narcissism is a universal permeable tendency, and a slap in the face to how others perceive you.

Although I will say, I feel that she got off the hook a bit easier than if she was a guy. If a guy did this, I have a feeling he would have instantly been thrown in jail, no questions asked. So, she has no criminal charges against her, which kinda in a way saved her, even if she was fired. Worst case scenario, she could work for a pharmaceutical company as a drug rep. Probably make more money that way too.

At least we aren't talking about the woman's breasts anymore. Progress has been made, 2016 is looking brighter!
The boobs thing was to show she had money. If it was her nose, we would have brought that up too.

neurology isn't considered competitive but it is moreso than other fields like IM which can have a more lucrative future, so I doubt she just went into it because she's an IMG and people don't go into neuro for the money
if I'm going to sit here and make baseless assumptions about people based on sterotype, I'm going to say the fact she went for neurology tells me something redeeming about her character

Well I don't think that's the case. Neurology is less competitive than IM (IM 74% match rate, Neuro is 83%- and IM has higher board scores). So despite you trying to give her some redeeming features, it may just be that it was the only thing she could match into...

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Well I don't think that's the case. Neurology is less competitive than IM (IM 74% match rate, Neuro is 83%- and IM has higher board scores). So despite you trying to give her some redeeming features, it may just be that it was the only thing she could match into...
More damning is the fact that her father went to the same residency program and Jackson/umiami has a reputation of favoritism in its residency programs (most evident by the legions of south american FMGs in competitive specialties over there). The thing about south florida is that everyone who grew up there wants to stay. She almost certainly realized her best chance of staying is via Jackson neurology and took it.

Yeah I donno where this impression comes from that IM is less competitive than everything else.

IM is *more competitive* than psych, neuro, peds, occ med, prev med, and possibly PM&R, and it's getting more competitive each year. IM programs run the gamut between bottom-of-the-barrel FMG sweatshops to ultra-competitive top tier programs like MGH, JHU, etc. The middle to top tier programs ratchet up the overall competitiveness considerably.

Yeah I donno where this impression comes from that IM is less competitive than everything else.

IM is *more competitive* than psych, neuro, peds, occ med, prev med, and possibly PM&R, and it's getting more competitive each year. IM programs run the gamut between bottom-of-the-barrel FMG sweatshops to ultra-competitive top tier programs like MGH, JHU, etc. The middle to top tier programs ratchet up the overall competitiveness considerably.
IM is competitive. Fmgs like IM too as a springboard to a specialty.

"God gave me the gifts of beauty and talent but I knew in my heart that my most precious gift was my brain," she writes, adding that when she would drive down Sunset Blvd in her cherry-red convertible Mercedes, "crowds of homeless people would wave to me with love in their eyes."

That's the funniest thing Ive read all week.

Reactions: 5 users
Don't know if serious or joking, it way to early in morning and reading comprehension hasn't kicked in yet. I'll go with serious

I would be just as disgusted with a guys behavior and lack of professionalism as I am with hers. I would think the same things if a dude was posting this self absorbed photos in swimsuits and or had tattoos that made my eyes roll so far back into my skull that it would take a neurosurgeon to dig them back out. Narcissism is a universal permeable tendency, and a slap in the face to how others perceive you.

Why? Would people flip out if their plumbers were self absorbed douche bags? As long as the guy shows up on time and does the job right, his behavior outside of work is not really something anybody would pay attention to (except the self-righteous who make it their business to point out everyone else's perceived character defects while ignoring their own).

So she's a self absorbed narcissist. So what? Is that illegal? Welcome to America. Any complaints about her professionalism with patients or clinical ability?

Genuinely don't get the hate here. I understand if you hate what she represents on a personal level, but no clue how it relates to the professional level.

This is the stuff of Maury or Dr. Phil...

Although I will say, I feel that she got off the hook a bit easier than if she was a guy. If a guy did this, I have a feeling he would have instantly been thrown in jail, no questions asked. So, she has no criminal charges against her, which kinda in a way saved her, even if she was fired. Worst case scenario, she could work for a pharmaceutical company as a drug rep. Probably make more money that way too.

Last edited:

I would not hire a plumber if they were acting like that too, or showing themselves in swimsuits (we see enough crack as it is ;)

There is something to be said for professionalism, in all fields. I want the best, and most professional person to work on my stuff. I wouldn't hire a lawyer who acted like this, or had pictures like this up on their Facebook wall

I would not hire a plumber if they were acting like that too, or showing themselves in swimsuits (we see enough crack as it is ;)

There is something to be said for professionalism, in all fields. I want the best, and most professional person to work on my stuff. I wouldn't hire a lawyer who acted like this, or had pictures like this up on their Facebook wall

so judgy of people...especially since you are not even in medicine...

Reactions: 3 users
so judgy of people...especially since you are not even in medicine...

Listen Dude or Dudette, sometimes yah gotta make a judgement call. As a Fellow working the field, you no doubt know this, and no doubt have had to make one.

Ive been fortunate in my life to see what the culture of medicine is before medical school. Ive worked in healthcare for about 5 years now, pounding pavement, working in the inner city, sometimes twerking (just kidding, that wouldn't be professional) and Ive seen a lot. Ive been bled on, puked on, peed on, Ive had someone actively seize in my exam room, Ive talked to victims of domestic abuse with welts on their arm, and seen the horrors of cancer literally suck the lifeblood out of people. I have also seen the excitement one has when they learned they lowered their A1C from 8 to 6. Thats what medicine is all about, and if I get grumpy when a little miss "Special Snowflake" comes along and defames the profession by consuming too much R-OH, making a temper tantrum in the bustling streets- all the while writing on her forearm in adult permanent marker that she is super special, and having daddy, daddy, daddy get her a job, parading around her Instagram swimsuit like she is the bees knees then yah, call me judgy.

Though I think carib standards & residency nepotism correlates to incidence of bad behavior vs. not carib & meritorious, I agree we have to draw a line at the judgment somewhere.

Her behavior in the incident is directly relevant to doctoring - the tattoo, possible boob job, partying pictures, etc - is not directly relevant. Yeah, maybe some of that correlates too, but that might be going too far for me.

Edit: actually I admit my anti-carib bias is at play and it might even be unfair to bring that up. If I truly wanted to avoid being part of a ravenous mob mentality I would only stick to the actual incident in my judgment of her + likely residency nepotism.

Last edited:
Listen Dude or Dudette, sometimes yah gotta make a judgement call. As a Fellow working the field, you no doubt know this, and no doubt have had to make one.

Ive been fortunate in my life to see what the culture of medicine is before medical school. Ive worked in healthcare for about 5 years now, pounding pavement, working in the inner city, sometimes twerking (just kidding, that wouldn't be professional) and Ive seen a lot. Ive been bled on, puked on, peed on, Ive had someone actively seize in my exam room, Ive talked to victims of domestic abuse with welts on their arm, and seen the horrors of cancer literally suck the lifeblood out of people. I have also seen the excitement one has when they learned they lowered their A1C from 8 to 6. Thats what medicine is all about, and if I get grumpy when a little miss "Special Snowflake" comes along and defames the profession by consuming too much R-OH, making a temper tantrum in the bustling streets- all the while writing on her forearm in adult permanent marker that she is super special, and having daddy, daddy, daddy get her a job, parading around her Instagram swimsuit like she is the bees knees then yah, call me judgy.

that would be Dr. Dudette to you...

having the equivalent of spending the night at a holiday inn does not make you know what its like to have been through medical school, internship and residency... looking on as an observer does not make you truly know what its like...just like being in the 1st 2 years of medical school doesn't really prepare you for 3rd year clinical and the clinical years of med school doesn't really prepare you for intern year ( and so on...)...those of us who have actually gone though it understand this...you won't until you too have been though it...your statement of "thats what medicine is about" proves that...

and sorry, your "special snowflake" status that you describe above doesn't trump hers...

Special snowflakes melt the fastest of all.
mistakesdemotivator.jpeg

--
Il Destriero

and sorry, your "special snowflake" status that you describe above doesn't trump hers...

Would posting Instagram photos of myself in a bikini change this opinion of your? I happen to be a 2m tall male Wookie.

Would posting Instagram photos of myself in a bikini change this opinion of your? I happen to be a 2m tall male Wookie.
no...because this attitude is going to keep you from being able to be a good doctor...and you may ask huh? why?

because if your patient doesn't fit in with how you think medicine should be you won't be effective as a doctor...did you notice that all your examples are those where the patient either had no control or succeeds...but what how are you going to deal with (because you judge them) the suspect in domestic violence, or the the pt with diabetes who's A1c is 14 up from 11 because he eats the foods that his friends bring over, or the pt who has lung cancer but still smokes his cigarettes?

if you think medicine is just about those successes, then you are going to be in for a big surprise and ultimately will be unhappy because they are fair and far between...maybe surgery has more instant gratification than most, but overall you will have patients that run the gamut of success and compliancy...

no...because this attitude is going to keep you from being able to be a good doctor...and you may ask huh? why?

because if your patient doesn't fit in with how you think medicine should be you won't be effective as a doctor...did you notice that all your examples are those where the patient either had no control or succeeds...but what how are you going to deal with (because you judge them) the suspect in domestic violence, or the the pt with diabetes who's A1c is 14 up from 11 because he eats the foods that his friends bring over, or the pt who has lung cancer but still smokes his cigarettes?

if you think medicine is just about those successes, then you are going to be in for a big surprise and ultimately will be unhappy because they are fair and far between...maybe surgery has more instant gratification than most, but overall you will have patients that run the gamut of success and compliancy...

The Wookie part was meant to be a joke, per a self deprecating sense of humor. Picturing a Wookie in a bikini elicits feelings of humor, though such humor may have eluded some. Fear not, I will punctuate further attempts at humor with a HAHA or subsequent LOL. Will such a thing suffice?

I do not think medicine is like that at all. To dip into the pool of narcissism for just a brief moment; The reason for bringing up my healthcare experiences is that despite the frustrations that occur with all the bodily functions that splash, I thoroughly enjoy the challenge it brings and the interpersonal communication you can bring to people- the drive to heal others. This is not only a profession where I see myself not only thriving in, but enjoying and having fulfillment in.

Medicine, as you say, is not just about successes. It is about the human experience of healing and being a part of the patient's life, even if they don't listen to you. You are still there to show them a way, a light at the end of the tunnel, to galvanize and energize them to pick up the torch of health and to be there when they falter (however frustrating it may be that they continue to smoke even when they have cancer). There is genuine enjoyment derived from putting everything you have to serve others, letting your passion spark theirs. This opportunity to do just that is worth all the hoops, worth taking the MCAT, worth pouring the soul into studies, worth staying up till 3 to study anatomy, worth giving up a majority of your youth, worth all the paperwork insurance bologna , and worth all the stupid multiple choice reading intensive test licensing garbage people spend literally thousands of hours on.

Thats why doctors are held to a higher standard. They have to be strong, they have to be professional, they have to be passionate. Like dissolves like, and if you give 100% of your effort to the patient, regardless of where they come from or what background they have, they will listen. Weather or not they take it to heart is on them, but at the end of the day, you, as a professional, left with nothing left on the table. Thats why people are judgmental. Would you want someone like Little Miss Spoiled over here operating on your mother?

Btw, Looking into Primary Care.

Did you just copy and paste your personal statement? The excitement of lowering their A1C....lol

I dont think you know what literally means either

Would you want someone like Little Miss Spoiled over here operating on your mother?.

you know if her success rate for what ever operation my mother would be getting is high and her complication rate is low then i don't care if she is covered head to toe in tatts and is the most annoying person on god's green earth...I want the most competent proficient physician, not miss congeniality...

Btw, Looking into Primary Care.

sure ...weren't we all when we were filling out our AMCAS...we're all people persons too...

Last edited:
Did you just copy and paste your personal statement? The excitement of lowering their A1C....lol

I dont think you know what literally means either

It means that their average glucose levels have dropped. Lower is betterer. Who wouldn't get excited that they are getting better on their baseline? I'm personally all about that bass.

And no, my personal statement had much more flare, and at least 2 star wars references. I also sent my file in with my Bikini selfie, hopefully the ADCOMs got it.

You're don't have to defend yourself. You don't have to be a medical student or physician to find this behavior abhorrent.

TBH I am far more uptight with my conduct, internet/social media presence than I would be if I weren't in medicine, like if I worked at 7-11