What happens if you failed a clerkship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Xbocker

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Say you got All As and Bs in all your clinical courses, specifically an A in pediatrics rotation but you ended up failing Internal Medicine Clerkship. When you apply for pediatrics program in residency will they look at your grade as a whole or do they just look at the grade of the specialty you're going for?

Members don't see this ad.

I guess it would come down as to why you failed? Were you a jerk and irritating? Did you fail the Shelf? Did you not show up? Did you put a patient in harms way? etc. Makes a difference. Bad test taker vs uninterested, arrogant, and un involved?

Say you got All As and Bs in all your clinical courses, specifically an A in pediatrics rotation but you ended up failing Internal Medicine Clerkship. When you apply for pediatrics program in residency will they look at your grade as a whole or do they just look at the grade of the specialty you're going for?

They care more about your pediatrics grade than the others, however failure in a core clerkship will certainly have a negative impact on the strength of your application.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's a red flag regardless of the field its in (but would certainly be more awkward in your field of choice). The etiology does matter in the sense that if it's work ethic, interpersonal, or moral failure it's worse.

This wouldn't preclude the person that failred from getting a job of course but it will shut them out of many programs and competitive fields. If the failure is a result of a personal failing (absenteeism, lying, etc), then it can be very difficult to match.

Finally, generally speaking, program directors look at IM and surgery clerkship performance regardless of what speciality you apply for, as these are the two most challenging and longest core clerkships across the country.

Reactions: 1 user
How about if I get a low pass, not failing. the reason why Im asking is I might either get a fail or low pass. I have a 226 step 1 score. Im looking to apply to psychiatry

How about if I get a low pass, not failing. the reason why Im asking is I might either get a fail or low pass. I have a 226 step 1 score. Im looking to apply to psychiatry

you already know this? how far are you into this rotation and you already know? sounds like there is a lot of back story/drama...!

I would like to know the answer to this question too! My situation is due to drama.