What happens if you apply twice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
E

exmissionary

So, exactly what happens if you do apply twice, three times to medical school? Can you apply year after year until you get into the school or one of the schools you want?

Members don't see this ad.

I know that some schools will cut you off after two application attempts. I don't think anybody will penalize you for a second attempt, but I'm not an adcom either.

why would they ask you to stop? We're helping some of these schools build better facilities!

Members don't see this ad :)
So, exactly what happens if you do apply twice, three times to medical school? Can you apply year after year until you get into the school or one of the schools you want?

Most schools don't limit the number of times you can apply. I think Harvard and UCLA limit it to 3 times, and there could be others, but most don't penalize reapplicants at all unless they've previously been accepted to a school and subsequently turned it down.

I will be applying to the same schools twice and i think the most important thing is to significantly strengthen your application. Obvious, i know. But, specifically, you should strengthen your weakest points the most but be sure to strengthen everything.

This is what i plan on doing.

Good luck.

First of all it just ticks me off that we're having a physician shortage in this country (most physicians projected to be 55+ in 10 or so years) and yet there are a lot of qualified applicants having to essentially beg and plead to learn. Aside from that I think a lot of schools cut off your applications after 2 or 3 attempts. My thought is if you've done everything they've asked for after the first one or two attempts it's a sure sign they don't want you for some reason. After that point you probably can't take the hint. You shouldn't have to do that though, unless you live in CA or something. You should apply to as many schools as possible. Good luck

First of all it just ticks me off that we're having a physician shortage in this country (most physicians projected to be 55+ in 10 or so years) and yet there are a lot of qualified applicants having to essentially beg and plead to learn. Aside from that I think a lot of schools cut off your applications after 2 or 3 attempts. My thought is if you've done everything they've asked for after the first one or two attempts it's a sure sign they don't want you for some reason. After that point you probably can't take the hint. You shouldn't have to do that though, unless you live in CA or something. You should apply to as many schools as possible. Good luck

This is so true! My application wasn't outstanding, but not terrible either: 28Q MCAT, 3.8 GPA, TONS of clinical/volunteering, editor of my university newspaper, research for 3 years, and I know my letters and interview were good, too. However, the explaination I received from the admissions committee at the UA? Sorry, there are just too many good applicants! :mad: They suggested I increase my MCAT to be more competitive...

I know this is a rant, but it just really bothered me that I didn't get in because I know I'm driven, intelligent, and would do well in med school. It just feels like a crapshoot. The admissions people actually told me a lot of the outstanding students in med classes are second time applicants; that's the only reassurance I'm getting out of this whole reapplication experience.

This is so true! My application wasn't outstanding, but not terrible either: 28Q MCAT, 3.8 GPA, TONS of clinical/volunteering, editor of my university newspaper, research for 3 years, and I know my letters and interview were good, too. However, the explaination I received from the admissions committee at the UA? Sorry, there are just too many good applicants! :mad: They suggested I increase my MCAT to be more competitive...

I know this is a rant, but it just really bothered me that I didn't get in because I know I'm driven, intelligent, and would do well in med school. It just feels like a crapshoot. The admissions people actually told me a lot of the outstanding students in med classes are second time applicants; that's the only reassurance I'm getting out of this whole reapplication experience.

I feel you.. that's the only explanation I got too