what happens during your dental school summers?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

makushin

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Made you look.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Well, if you are on an HSCP scholarship, you will do whatever you want. Your job during dental school is whatever everyone else is doing. if that is sitting on your A$$, then you are gettign paid to do that. But, if you are on the HPSP, then you will be required to spend 45 days on active duty if your school has that much time off during the summers. If you had to go to school during the summers like a lot of schools have gone to, then you would be credited for the 45 days on active duty although you would be in school.

If you have a couple months off, then you will be required to do the 45 days. If you don't do it the summer before d0school starts, then during the summer between your first and second years you will have to go to ODS (Officer Development School) which is basic training for health professionals and other officers like chaplains and JAG. Then, the subsequent summers you will probably do internships at a dental clinic for the 45 days. I have spoken with a few people who actually were allowed to do dental work before they were able to do it in school. This time will be beneficial to you so you know what military dentistry is like so you can have an idea of how you will be able to relate dental school to what you will do in the military.

So, don't plan on being able to go to Alaska to work for the summer. If for some reason you are allowed to do that, great. But, I wouldn't count on it at all!

What happens if I want to do research or school sponsered programs?

What happens if I want to do research or school sponsered programs?

It all depends on how the school reports your status to the military. the best way to find out is call whichever school you will be attending and ask them the question. At our school we are always classified as "in-school" so HPSP students are not required to serve AT outside of school, even during our break between D1 and D2 when we have 2-3 months off.

Members don't see this ad :)
Who would you ask about your status during your breaks? Admission? What school do you attend (just curious)?

Who would you ask about your status during your breaks? Admission? What school do you attend (just curious)?

At our school it would be the admissions office, specifically the lady that takes care of our tuition and loans. Case Western