What Happened @ Visit Emory?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

peanut2

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am interested in Epi and was unable to go to Visit Emory! I was just wondering what some of the high points were, what you took out of it, whether or not it changed your decision, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

I would be happy to scan and email the info I got from the EPI department including things like Post Graduate Employment for EPI students, degree requirements (this is probably online somewhere), Career Services info, EPI practicum sites etc. Let me know if you are interested. See the posts in the original visit emory thread for more about the two days. Overall it was really great!

I really wanted to be there but I couldn't.
Would you share the info with me?
My email is [email protected] .

Thanks in advance. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
I too wanted to attend Visit Emory but was unable. If anyone has information particularly about the BSHE department, or any other general input, please share.

Well, I learned that the department is pronounced, "Bes-she", and at the department meeting we got a folder with information on course sequencing and department specifics. I'd say contact the ADAPs, Mark Mooney or Melissa Krancer, because they said they are willing to mail this packet to prospective students in the department. Here are the highlights from our department:

*This is probably school-wide, but the practicum is not 200 hours that needs to be done in the summer btw. first and second year. Actually, any public health-related work you document counts, including part-time positions you have during the semester. So, a lot of the current students said that the practicum requirement is usually fulfilled by the end of our first year.

*In our department, we have a choice btw. either a written qualitative thesis, or a collaborative Capstone project in our second year. This is unlike some other schools, which require both, and the Capstone experience at Emory is relatively new.

*The average course load for BSHE students is around 10-11 credits a semester, but you're allowed up to 16, which is doable for some. Also, BSHE elective credit can be earned by taking 2 or 3 classes not necessarily at Rollins, but at any other Emory grad school, like the Theology school.

*Average class size for many BSHE classes is around 18 students.

Hope this helps, :)

Hi guys. I wasn't able to attend the Visit Emory day either. Those of you that did attend, especially for Health Policy, would you mind sharing what they said?

Thanks guys!

If people have questions about Epi at Emory, feel free to PM me and I will give you my best unbiased advice. I finished my degree there last May. Gooooood Luck!

Hey, wanted to bump this up and revisit the subject. I found out Friday I was admitted to BSHE. Now I'm seriously considering Emory, it's b/n this and IH at BU. Since I got my acceptance so late I won't be able to visit during the semester, but will try to make it down after summer classes start. In the mean time, any other thoughts for me?

Some things I find important are the relationship with profs and their experience and work outside of class, what do they do besides teach? How helpful are they with finding practicums, ie. calling their networks, and with finding employment post grad. And in regards to the students, what's the avg age/work experience? I need to be surrounded by those w/ different views and knowledge than me.

So, I'll ask all this to Emory, but your thoughts? What else did you find helpful there?