What Fellowship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DW3843

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is for anyone out there going into ENT or already in the field:

What are your plans after finishing your residency? Will it be straight into practice or on to a fellowship?

I would like to hear some of the opinions and experiences of why people were drawn to a particular fellowship or other niche of ENT.

Members don't see this ad.

DW3843 said:
This is for anyone out there going into ENT or already in the field:

What are your plans after finishing your residency? Will it be straight into practice or on to a fellowship?

I would like to hear some of the opinions and experiences of why people were drawn to a particular fellowship or other niche of ENT.

I am going into practice, mainly because what I really like is the variety of oto, which a fellowship precludes.

For example: I love otology, but not neuro-otology. I love ablative H&N surgery, but don't like doing free flaps. I love facial recontruction (eg: local flaps after Mohs surgery), but don't like cosmetic facial plastics.

I second the thoughs of throat and will probably be entering a small group private practice (3-5 partners); i went into oto because of the variety of procedures (e.g. fess is nothing like tymp mastoids, which are nothing like facial recon, which are nothing like T&A; all 4 of which are nothing like necks, thyroids, and parathyroids); i also have a short attention span and do not like free flaps either, although the program that i am at does about 3-4/week; i would not want to limit myself to one specific area; love the diversity!

thanks for some helpful responses.
That's exactly what I was looking for.

Any thoughts from other private practice hopefuls or those of you that are considering a fellowship?