what exactly does "on hold" mean?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StringBean

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just got an email from columbia stating that my application is "on hold" pending my Dean's letter... what exacly does that mean?

Does it mean... we really don't wanna interview you but we're going to be politically correct & wait until your dean's letter comes out b/f we tell you

OR

we're thinking of interviewing you but we want more reason to do so

OR

????? any ideas?

Anyone else get this from them?

Members don't see this ad.

I also got that email. I'm hoping it's option no. 2, but I can't hold out too much hope for programs waiting for my Dean's Letter (I'm not near the top of my class, so I don't see how it'll help).

Has anyone been rejected by Columbia?

I received something similar from Children's Memorial - basically that they had received all of my initial application and that they would be waiting to see if I get an interview after my Dean's Letter. Anyone else with the same thing? What does it mean?

Members don't see this ad :)
I got the same letter from Children's Memorial today...I sort of read it as not so great a sign, but that's probably me just being pessimistic. It essentially said thanks for sending in your application, we're awaiting your dean's letter...has anyone gotten any interview requests from there? Maybe they are one of the programs that routinely waits until dean's letters come out...

From a different thread about Children's Memorial from Sept. 20th...

"Children's Memorial Hospital in Chicago sent out a group of invitations today. There will be at least one more large group of invitations coming out in November after the Dean's Letters are sent out."

So there is still hope.

Some schools do not send out invites until the Dean's Letter goes out.