What else should I do part-time?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmDstudent

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need a second part-time job this summer, because I don't want to have too much free time on my hands like last summer. Sooooooo... does anyone have a good idea?

This is what I've thought about so far:
1. waitress/bartender (This city is known for its cuisine.)
2. cake decorator, pastry maker
3. snowball stand chick (snow cones, Hawaiian shaved ice, whatever you want to call them)
4. library assistant

I want to avoid mass market retail if possible, because I already work at a retail pharmacy. Also, I don't want to work at another pharmacy, because I already work at a pharmacy, I go to pharmacy school, I study pharmacy, and I talk about pharmacy in my free time on SDN. :p

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

You'd probably make the most money as a waitress or bartender, but then you'd still have to put up with crappy customers.

How would the other jobs work out as far as scheduling? It seems like most of those are day-time jobs, which might be hard to fit into a normal pharmacy schedule.

Members don't see this ad :)
Write me a pharmacy Wiki? Oh wait, no pharmacy. :laugh:
What do you mean? The current Wikipedia entry is pretty weak.

There's no problem with pharmacy. I just don't want to work at another pharmacy. I think that would be overkill. :p

hospital pharmacy

You'd probably make the most money as a waitress or bartender, but then you'd still have to put up with crappy customers.

How would the other jobs work out as far as scheduling? It seems like most of those are day-time jobs, which might be hard to fit into a normal pharmacy schedule.
That's true. Scheduling could get messy.

My schedule will probably be a mixture of afternoon and evening shifts. We already have a full-time morning tech. I think they're hiring someone else full-time from upfront who speaks Spanish.

That's what I'm leaning towards. They're hiring at Breaux Mart. :p Maybe they could teach me how to make French pastries. That would be cool!

The Bro Mart??? :eek:

:idea:

They need a pharmacy in Breaux Mart..

Members don't see this ad :)
What do you mean? The current Wikipedia entry is pretty weak.

There's no problem with pharmacy. I just don't want to work at another pharmacy. I think that would be overkill. :p
I asked Lee (our big Kahuna) to set up a pharmacy Wiki so that I could move the FAQs there, develop the FAQs further, and put in a links sections (resources, orgs, partners). Ultimately, I'd like it to be integrated into the pharmacy forum template so that it's readily accessible.

We also need authors for the SDN frontpage. That comes with an honorarium.

There are a bunch of other projects going on too, but they are more site-wide and not in the pharm forums.

I asked Lee (our big Kahuna) to set up a pharmacy Wiki so that I could move the FAQs there, develop the FAQs further, and put in a links sections (resources, orgs, partners). Ultimately, I'd like it to be integrated into the pharmacy forum template so that it's readily accessible.

We also need authors for the SDN frontpage. That comes with an honorarium.

There are a bunch of other projects going on too, but they are more site-wide and not in the pharm forums.
So you want to add to this? Right?
Pharmacy Wiki
It looks like we could add pharmacy experience (tech work, volunteer opportunities, shadowing, etc.) to the list.

:idea:

They need a pharmacy in Breaux Mart..
When Walgreen's bought out Sav-A-Center, the rumor was that Sav-A-Center pharmacies were only doing 75-100 scripts/day.

If you think Breaux Mart could afford to pay a pharmacist $90,000/year, then it may be worthwhile.
I know the store in Chalmette, La could use a pharmacy. Last I heard, they only had two pharmacies open in that area- a Walgreen's and a Wal-Mart. The Wags is suppose to be really busy.

Think about it.

How about approaching Mr. Breaux and offer a joint venture to open a pharmacy in select Breaux Marts. Good for them and good for the pharmacist. And when Breaux Mart sells out to a big player, the pharmacy owner will make a couple of mil.

That's how money is made.

I'm getting a job at a tanning salon. I'd say be a bartender. =)

tanning salon is wicked easy.

I used to work at horse farms - paid manual labor and kept me pretty toned. my arms aren't as toned since I quit :(

but it wasn't a very flexible job and I wanted my weekends to myself. And too much variability - I never knew if it was going to take me 4 hours or 10 hours to get everything done.

I need a second part-time job this summer, because I don't want to have too much free time on my hands like last summer. Sooooooo... does anyone have a good idea?

3. snowball stand chick (snow cones, Hawaiian shaved ice, whatever you want to call them)
4. library assistant

I want to avoid mass market retail if possible, because I already work at a retail pharmacy. Also, I don't want to work at another pharmacy, because I already work at a pharmacy, I go to pharmacy school, I study pharmacy, and I talk about pharmacy in my free time on SDN. :p

Thanks in advance!

I would sssooooo work as a cake decorator, because when I hit the powerball, I am going to open my own bakery/cake shop.

And you can come work in the summer if you want. :p

I see you guys have really high aspiration in life.. and this summer... to decorate cakes.

This chick makes really cute fondant figurines. :love: I love the mouse! :p
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sK5adLZ4mU0&feature=related[/youtube]

So you want to add to this? Right?
Pharmacy Wiki
It looks like we could add pharmacy experience (tech work, volunteer opportunities, shadowing, etc.) to the list.
Oh no. I want to replace that with a version that does not burn your eyes and give you Windows 3.x flashbacks. If should be very user friendly and easy to navigate. This site is my inspiration : http://www.rxwiki.com/index.php?title=Main_Page

A4MD's Pharmacy Career Guide will be integrated into the Wiki too.

I like making ice cream cakes. When buttercream frosting freezes to the sides it looks all fancy pants even if it's plain.

I'm getting a Doberge cake for my birthday! :D It's going to be half strawberry and half lemon.

Seriously Epic... What's the difference between compounding pharmacy and baking?

And the loftiest goal of all...Doing nothing.

I respectfully diagree..

The loftiest goal in life is to do whatever you want whenever you want.

I'm getting a Doberge cake for my birthday! :D It's going to be half strawberry and half lemon.

Seriously Epic... What's the difference between compounding pharmacy and baking?

you don't have to get up at 4 in the morning to go open the pharmacy.

Oh no. I want to replace that with a version that does not burn your eyes and give you Windows 3.x flashbacks. If should be very user friendly and easy to navigate. This site is my inspiration : http://www.rxwiki.com/index.php?title=Main_Page

A4MD's Pharmacy Career Guide will be integrated into the Wiki too.

I like making ice cream cakes. When buttercream frosting freezes to the sides it looks all fancy pants even if it's plain.
As long as you can show me how...
I'll get back to you on this. I gotta go for now.

I respectfully diagree..

The loftiest goal in life is to do whatever you want whenever you want.
It may be, but doing nothing is loftier than cake decorating or retrieving balls, no?

4. library assistant

Thanks in advance!

Bartender looks like a fun job but only if you are super social and want to meet/be around lots of people. In that case it is a perfect job.

If you are like me and want to get away from people, then working in a library is probably better. Libraries are the best place in the world, it's always quiet and calm there. If I could I'd live in a library.

Bartenders are the pharmacists of the alcohol industry. I'd go with that. Lots of 'compounds' to be made...
Mickey Finn was a "compounding pharmacist". :smuggrin:
http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a3_092.html

I applied at a daiquiri shack on Bourbon St. a year ago, but I never followed up on it.

I guess I'll have to apply to a few different types of places and then see how it turns out. Job hunting is usually a gamble anyway.

Decisions, decisions....

4. library assistant

Thanks in advance!
Cake decorator! That would be a great job! Baking is so relaxing and fun.