What else can you do with an SMP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Granny Watkins

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
As I understand it, an SMP is a graduate program in which you earn a masters degree. What are the other possible career options with this degree if you still can't get into a medical school and become a physician? I'm not referring to positions in research, but rather what are the options in clinical medicine? I would only apply to SMPs like Georgetwon to raise my GPA and prove my academic abilities if that narrows down the field a bit. Does my undergrad degree play a significant role in determining these options?

Members don't see this ad.

As I understand it, an SMP is a graduate program in which you earn a masters degree. What are the other possible career options with this degree if you still can't get into a medical school and become a physician? I'm not referring to positions in research, but rather what are the options in clinical medicine? I would only apply to SMPs like Georgetwon to raise my GPA and prove my academic abilities if that narrows down the field a bit. Does my undergrad degree play a significant role in determining these options?

What do you want to do?

SMP will increase your chances for any professional/graduate program. By itself though, it's worthless.

Members don't see this ad :)
It looks like I can't use the SMP for anything other than improving my academic competitiveness.

Yup.

It's a last ditch effort to get yourself into med school.

It looks like I can't use the SMP for anything other than improving my academic competitiveness.
Not true

Discussed in an exact same thread before. and before that too.

do a search before you rehash something thats already been beaten to death

Great! Thanks for the tip! :D

You sound like someone that wants to be a nurse. It's a great career and there isn't any research involved; not really, anyways.

Save yourself an SMP you think is worthless and just become an NP.

Actually, to you an SMP is doubly worthless since you're only doing it for med school and because you dislike research. A lot of SMPs have research components.

Why is it that you want to practice medicine, exactly?