What else can I do? Do I have a chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopefulnontrad1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm a non trad student (graduated in May 2015, applying this coming cycle for Fall 2017). I graduated with a BS in Microbiology with a 3.46 cgpa. Minors in Public Health and French language. I received a 504 on the MCAT, though I am retaking in May (127 in Bio and Verbal; 125 in Chem/Phys and Psych). I have some volunteer experience (roughly 60 hours combined in animal shelter and food pantry) as well as shadowing experience (roughly 50 hours) . I worked in a biology lab at school for two years, though it wasn't a research lab. Currently working as a lab tech for a medical diagnostic company. I have also been accepted to an AmeriCorps state program for the next year.

I was wondering what my chances are for MD and DO schools. Any recommendations on how to make myself a more competitive applicant?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Numbers are circling the drain for mD schools unless you line in one of the lucky states like LA or KS. They're fine for DO.

Your ECs are poor. You have apparently zero patient contact experience; for this alone, you'd get rejected from my school. You need to show us that you really want to be around sick people for the next 30 years and that you know what you're getting into. I do like the TFA service, but you need to start being around patients.

Hi everyone! I'm a non trad student (graduated in May 2015, applying this coming cycle for Fall 2017). I graduated with a BS in Microbiology with a 3.46 cgpa. Minors in Public Health and French language. I received a 504 on the MCAT, though I am retaking in May (127 in Bio and Verbal; 125 in Chem/Phys and Psych). I have some volunteer experience (roughly 60 hours combined in animal shelter and food pantry) as well as shadowing experience (roughly 50 hours) . I worked in a biology lab at school for two years, though it wasn't a research lab. Currently working as a lab tech for a medical diagnostic company. I have also been accepted to an AmeriCorps state program for the next year.

I was wondering what my chances are for MD and DO schools. Any recommendations on how to make myself a more competitive applicant?

Thanks!

Numbers are circling the drain for mD schools unless you line in one of the lucky states like LA or KS. They're fine for DO.

Your ECs are poor. You have apparently zero patient contact experience; for this alone, you'd get rejected from my school. You need to show us that you really want to be around sick people for the next 30 years and that you know what you're getting into. I do like the TFA service, but you need to start being around patients.

Thank you for the advice, would you recommend me volunteering in a hospital /doctor's office to get more patient contact experience?