what does this mean?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

garfieldtipton

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Could someone explain to me what the following says in laymans terms?

1) L2-3 mild central canal stenosis secondary to concentric disc bulging and mild facet hypertrophy (from CT)
1) L2-3 diffuse disc protusion some eccentricity to the left, result in transverse impression upon the thecal sace with some relative marrowing of the spinal canal, relative narrowing of L foramen (from MRI)
2)L3-4 concentric disc protrusion, creates mild spinal stenosis (from CT)
2) L3-4 generalized disc protrusion, small transverse impression upon the anterior aspect of thecal sac (MRI)

I had fusion done on 12-04, L4-5 with hardware,I know that surgery did not have anything to do with any of this, but I was looking over my reports because my pain is severe and constant, cannot stand up straight, I can walk 10-12 minutes, then I have to set down or find some thing to lean on, I cannot stay in a sitting position for no more than 20 minutes, I moan and groan when I walk or stand. Maybe the above items are the underlying problems that are still allowing me to be the way I am.

Thanks any interputation would be helpful.

Members don't see this ad.

There is some mild narrowing of the spinal canal (where the spinal cord runs through the vertebral column).

You should have a doctor examine you, get a better history, and then interpret the MRI & CT to see if there is something causing your pain that can be fixed.

I'm not a neurosurgeon, so don't take this as authentic medical advice, but I've spent some time working with orthopedic spinal surgeons...

Spinal stenosis is a narrowing of the canal where the spinal cord runs through the vertebral column. It appears that the disks between your L2,3,4 vertebrae (just above your previous surgical site) are "bulging", which causes them to partially protrude into that canal and impinge upon your spinal cord. They could be compressing the cord itself, or the individual nerves as they exit the vertebral column laterally, but either way these stenotic changes could possibly explain your pain. Not a definite answer, but certainly a possibility.

CQ

Members don't see this ad :)
From what you have written it seems that there are mild degenerative changes at those levels. Many people have them. These "mild degrees" as described are seen in a lot of people, often do not cause problems, and are even seen in people without any symptoms. Only a doctor who does spine work can correlate the clinical symptoms and MRI and find out what is really the cause of the pain. Don't get stupid advice from the internet, including mine.

As for Conquerer, please don't even attempt to give any advice, because there are incorrect statements in your post. "Cord compression at L2-3 and below?!!!!!?" . The cord in a normal adult ends at L2 or above, so how can it cause cord compression at L2-3 or L3-4?

Hence why I prefaced my post with "I'm not a neurosurgeon, so don't take this as authentic medical advice".

Don't create fake quotations, you won't find the phrase "Cord compression at L2-3 and below" anywhere in my post. I said the discs at those levels were bulging into the canal: "...are "bulging", which causes them to partially protrude into that canal..."

I apologies for any and all errors, but I made it abundantly clear that I was not providing any sort of authentic medical advice and that my comments should be taken at no more than face value.

CQ