What does not filling match spots generally mean about the program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rals

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering if, in general, you could make a generalization about what it says about residency programs that don't fill their match spots?

Does it mean that the program is probably not as desirable? Or the pplicants weren't?

Members don't see this ad.

In some cases, the program (or city) is not desirable. In other cases, the program has an inflated self image and either invites too few candidates or ranks too few candidates.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks guys.. :)

so I guess generally it is a negative issue.

it's so hard knowing much about what the program's really like beyond what it is on paper short of externing... I can only visit so many places! just trying to get insight any way I can...

so I guess generally it is a negative issue.

Well, sometimes the programs are good programs. Their PD's just need to realize that they are not as elite as they think they are and interview and rank more candidates. I wouldn't avoid a program just for the reason that they didn't match all their spots.

Reactions: 1 user
Often the match "goes bad"... you are sure, rank list sent, then get shocked.

every year several people to "abide by the match"
people drop out

BEST IS TO ASK CURRENT RESIDENTS (especially after Sept when they know the program... best would have been in the 3rd year.. and speak to them in Feb, or MArch)

You can visit the programs

Ask recent graduates of your school, ask your faculty.

Are you talking about GPR's or specialty programs? Two completely different sets of rules when it comes to the match

I think this is a really bad question, but if a certain program doesn't have all of it's spots filled, is there a way for them to be filled? Would they be more willing to accept someone to fill the spot or will it just remain empty?