What does my score need to be???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SOUNDMAN

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok first post so go easy on me :). I'm currently a physician assistant in practice. I'm planning on applying to med school (allopathic) for 2005. Taking the MCAT in August. PA school was post bacc obviously. I did very well with 3.8-3.9 cumulative. However my undergrad was like 3.0 before PA school. What do you think I will need to score on the MCAT in order to get into medschool? Just curious...

SOUND

Members don't see this ad.

ROFL....thanks for the seriousness...LOL...

Any ideas or just a ball park what it might need to be. I just want to see if I'm thinking along the lines of everyone else. Thanks again.

Each school is different....you can find the score averages by entering the
desired med school in this site's SEARCH. However, I think the scores are
a bit higher than what they list...for instance, UVA lists their average as much lower than what they tell you in person....average mcat at UVA is now 33.

Members don't see this ad :)
it really does depend on the personal statement and 2ndary. The process is kinda like a card game soo it depends on how you play your cards. Apply early and to lots of schools and assuming all is well, I think 28 a will not really hinder you from a lot of schools and maybe a 27 (that maybe pushin it with the 3.0)

my two cents

That's the question of the [insert time here]

No way to tell. I've read schools that say they've turned away 4.0/35+ applicants based on the rest of the app. Don't know if it's true or not...

I have a 3.3ish GPA with a 3.0ish science. I scored a 11/11/10 the last time (9 years ago). Took a prep course and my diags were better after much hard studying, so I'm hoping that those numbers and a great military career will be enough for Uniformed Services University to want me as a student.

MoosePilot said:
That's the question of the [insert time here]

No way to tell. I've read schools that say they've turned away 4.0/35+ applicants based on the rest of the app. Don't know if it's true or not...

I have a 3.3ish GPA with a 3.0ish science. I scored a 11/11/10 the last time (9 years ago). Took a prep course and my diags were better after much hard studying, so I'm hoping that those numbers and a great military career will be enough for Uniformed Services University to want me as a student.

I don't know for sure, but you may have to retake the MCAT. Many places will not accept scores older than 3 yrs.

You may wish to apply to other places besides USUHS. You may still be eligible to receive free schooling and a stipend from US military scholarships while attending a "better" school. I say better for a variety of reasons, eg location, not as a knock against USUHS's quality of schooling. :cool:

skiz knot said:
I don't know for sure, but you may have to retake the MCAT. Many places will not accept scores older than 3 yrs.

You may wish to apply to other places besides USUHS. You may still be eligible to receive free schooling and a stipend from US military scholarships while attending a "better" school. I say better for a variety of reasons, eg location, not as a knock against USUHS's quality of schooling. :cool:

Yes, USUHS requires recent scores. I was pretty unclear, but this Spring I did a bunch of test prep with TPR (while fighting a war - boy that's fun). My diag average was as good as my old scores and my last couple were above my "dream score". Now I'm just waiting and worrying.

I know I should saturate the school market with applications, but I am really devoted to being a military doctor and also have personal reasons for what one of my prep classmates termed "suicide" (applying to only one school). After seeing how the Air Force Academy grads relate to the service compared to us ROTC types, USU is my first choice, but for weird private reasons it's also my only choice.

Thanks for the advice, though, I recognize that it's sound, just have to go a different way :)

Hey MoosePilot -

After watching CNN everyday, all I can say is "thanks."

You are in the same boat as all of us - all trying to get into medical school.
We all have that same bond.

The difference between us? You are protecting my rights and life as we speak - and will continue to do that if you are a military doc.

People can argue what they want about the war - I know this - guys like you in the military are protecting my ass as I sit here and type on this computer and sip my Starbuck's.

To that I offer an honest "thank you" and best of luck with the MCAT and USHU.

If we were in a bar - I'd buy you a beer. Since this is virtual - I'm sending some good MCAT karma your way brother.

A Grateful American
911Med

skiz knot said:

There's an important distinction between USUHS & HPSP that Moose probably knows, but others reading this might not. USUHS students are on active duty receiving their full pay (if you can call a 2Lt or Ensign's pay "full" ;) ) and benefits (which include housing allowance, health care, and a lot more). Because they're on active duty, the 4 years of school are creditted as time in service for retirement purposes.

HPSP student stipends are a lot less than an O-1's pay and benefits and their time is in a diifferent category.

MoosePilot said:
Yes, USUHS requires recent scores. I was pretty unclear, but this Spring I did a bunch of test prep with TPR (while fighting a war - boy that's fun). My diag average was as good as my old scores and my last couple were above my "dream score". Now I'm just waiting and worrying.

I know I should saturate the school market with applications, but I am really devoted to being a military doctor and also have personal reasons for what one of my prep classmates termed "suicide" (applying to only one school). After seeing how the Air Force Academy grads relate to the service compared to us ROTC types, USU is my first choice, but for weird private reasons it's also my only choice.

Thanks for the advice, though, I recognize that it's sound, just have to go a different way :)

Not to jinx you, but if you score like that and have already served in the military, you have to be pretty close to a lock.

911Med said:
Hey MoosePilot -

After watching CNN everyday, all I can say is "thanks."

You are in the same boat as all of us - all trying to get into medical school.
We all have that same bond.

The difference between us? You are protecting my rights and life as we speak - and will continue to do that if you are a military doc.

People can argue what they want about the war - I know this - guys like you in the military are protecting my ass as I sit here and type on this computer and sip my Starbuck's.

To that I offer an honest "thank you" and best of luck with the MCAT and USHU.

If we were in a bar - I'd buy you a beer. Since this is virtual - I'm sending some good MCAT karma your way brother.

A Grateful American
911Med

Thanks a lot to all of you and I'll definitely take the Karma, glad you had some to spare. People throw support our way and it really makes it all worthwhile. I think it was the welcome home parades after the first Gulf War, watching it as a Boy Scout, that really brought home a lot of what the military is.

I gotta say I feel the same way you do - grateful to the guys that are *much* deeper in the suck than I am. Grateful to this country for rocking.

Someone else mentioned USUHS carries active duty benefits, including medical. While my dedication to military service is the driving factor, that's a big one too with my family in mind.

Thanks to whoever said it was a lock. I don't believe it, because that GPA is way anemic, but thanks. Thanks to everyone for the support and responses :)