What does my diagnostic score mean?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuredoc0307

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just attempted the biology section exam from the AAMCAS Section Bank. I got a total of 40 total correct questions out of 100. i have not started studying for the MCAT yet as i will just begin next week. I also did not take biochemistry yet. what does this raw score mean? here is a picture of score report. btw i noticed there was intense amount of biochemistry (amino acid related questions) and i have not taken biochem yet. will take MCAT in may and will finsih biochem right before exam. thanks for your input

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• score report bio.png
    score report bio.png
    186 KB · Views: 70
It just means that you have a lot of work to do. Start studying and really be focus. Be sure to know and understand all those topics that you saw on that section bank. Hence, if you see similar topics in the future, you will know the concept. Best of luck.

Y r u taking the SB now? Makes no sense. Assuming you've taken all your pre reqs buy review books and work on content over christmas break

Reactions: 1 user
Hi @futuredoc0307 -

Just a couple quick notes on the Section Bank (SB) that might help you organize your thoughts. The SB isn't really an ideal diagnostic in that it's different from the real thing in terms of length, organization, content distribution, and difficulty. In particular, the SB is known to be hard -- and as such to be great practice for more difficult questions (especially those involving experiments and research) as you get closer to Test Day. This is why you may hear advice not to use the SB at the beginning of studying.

Since you've done it, though, the question is what insight you can get from it. At least IMHO the primary takeaway shouldn't be that you need to study biology or biochem -- after all, you knew that already, since you're just getting started :). One benefit that you can get from the SB at this stage, though, is to review it carefully and internalize what a difficult MCAT passage/question is like, because that can help you study more efficiently and set you up for success. With this in mind, I'd suggest doing an 'open-book' review of the SB questions not through the lens of content, but through the lens of strategy. If you need to look something up, look it up -- but try to understand how the MCAT expects you to apply that knowledge.

Best of luck!!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi @futuredoc0307 -

Just a couple quick notes on the Section Bank (SB) that might help you organize your thoughts. The SB isn't really an ideal diagnostic in that it's different from the real thing in terms of length, organization, content distribution, and difficulty. In particular, the SB is known to be hard -- and as such to be great practice for more difficult questions (especially those involving experiments and research) as you get closer to Test Day. This is why you may hear advice not to use the SB at the beginning of studying.

Since you've done it, though, the question is what insight you can get from it. At least IMHO the primary takeaway shouldn't be that you need to study biology or biochem -- after all, you knew that already, since you're just getting started :). One benefit that you can get from the SB at this stage, though, is to review it carefully and internalize what a difficult MCAT passage/question is like, because that can help you study more efficiently and set you up for success. With this in mind, I'd suggest doing an 'open-book' review of the SB questions not through the lens of content, but through the lens of strategy. If you need to look something up, look it up -- but try to understand how the MCAT expects you to apply that knowledge.

Best of luck!!

Thank you very much for your input! I did not look at the solutions after completing the test, so it is basically still good for reuse, as i am able to start it a total of 10 times. But my thought process was just to 1. get a feel of what it's like to direct my way of studying; and 2. to kind of see the actual progress once i attempt the same test in, say, after 2-3 months of studying. Seeing the score rise/fall would be a good indication of if i actually improved or not. so basically what i was wondering was if 40% raw score without any preparation whatsoever is normal or not. I understand it is logical to say it is not concerning since i have not started preping, but i am currently an SI leader for Bio 1 at my university, i assumed my intense knowedge of gen bio would help, although there was a lot of biochem questions and i have yet to take biochem next semester. So I am just wondering if 40% is a too low of a score

Doesn't mean anything. Keep the nose to the grindstone and you'll nail it when the time comes.

Studying for this test is by-in-large, imo, learning how to take this test. Learning how to get rid of crap answers, seeing through tricks like double-negatives, etc. Use the section bank to get a feel for things as your go, but in this case, a diagnostic, it is not.

If you want a relatively good diagnostic, sign up for a free MCAT test/diagnostic somewhere. You can always find them. I think most companies have the standard timeshare plot of "wow, look at these spiffy packages we offer, can we have your email?, here's your free sample! Enjoy and don't be shy coming back for those spiffy packages we mentioned!"