What does it take to get to a residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChulRx

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm a P1, and although it is far away, I'm thinking about what I need to do now to increase my chances of being matched with a residency program. I was told by somebody that you "really have to be in Rho Chi if you want a residency". Although I know this is some part exaggeration, how close is it to the truth? For current residents, what do you feel got you where you are? Was it grades, extracurricular activities, networking? I don't plan to slack off on my grades by any means, but I also realize that even while trying my best I might not be Dean's List, Rho Chi, etc. material.

I didn't find what I was looking for in previous threads, but please direct me to an old thread if I missed something.

Members don't see this ad.

I'd say programs look at the whole package. Get involved in something you like, leadership activities, community service projects. Even things outside of pharmacy can be things you can add to your CV. Make sure you choose the right people to write you letters of recs, those who can speak well about your abilities and performances. Most of this I'd say is through your rotation preceptors, or any advisors you may have.

Hey all,

I'm a P1, and although it is far away, I'm thinking about what I need to do now to increase my chances of being matched with a residency program. I was told by somebody that you "really have to be in Rho Chi if you want a residency". Although I know this is some part exaggeration, how close is it to the truth? For current residents, what do you feel got you where you are? Was it grades, extracurricular activities, networking? I don't plan to slack off on my grades by any means, but I also realize that even while trying my best I might not be Dean's List, Rho Chi, etc. material.

I didn't find what I was looking for in previous threads, but please direct me to an old thread if I missed something.

Most residents have a strong academic record, but many also wants to see other activities outside of school organizations. Namely experience in a clinic, or external organization, some sort of project that you cultivated, and also acheivement award, poster or conference presentations, and any publications will boost your qualifications. Find a professor or clinic that will mentor you. Maybe, you can take part in a clinical study or analyze data for a lab. I personally think it looks better than all the school organizations, unless you held a role that allowed you to be in charge or operations.

Also, so many students get bent out of shape if they don't match. They just give up on th first try, because many never felt defeat. What students don't know is that there is a "scramble" process to fill any open spots. Contact the residencies and see if any openings are there, and if you can fill one of those slots. They will like your drive and be up front.