What does it take to get into Mayo, Harvard or Johns Hopkins?

Chemistry>Physics

Puggy
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just out of pure curiosity.

So beyond the high MCAT, clincal hours, volunteer work, and high GPA

How much of your life does it require as a pre med?
What kind of ECs are typical of a candidate for these schools?
What diseases do you have to cure to land a spot at one of these giants? (joking)

If you're answering feel free to throw in anecdotes about your friend's friend who scored a 41 MCAT and saved children from burning buildings. I'm really interested in the top 1% of medical applicants, and what they do.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Mdapplicants.com. can put in specific criteria and see the students who interviewed there or were accepted.

Reactions: 2 users
Ah thanks man but it feels like when I go on there I just read about some kids intereviews at the schools. not really the meat of his application. Im interested in the lifestyle of it, what they were like in college, if they partied, if they had friends, what kind of extracurriculars set them apart

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Actually the three giants are Stanford, Hopkins, and Harvard.

It's about the fit, imo. Harvard and JHU are both about diversity and uniqueness of applicants, what they do other than checking boxes, and commonly accept people stddevs away from their average.

Winning a prestigious scholarship, doing a lot of research, going to a prestigious undergrad(UVA, Yale, UCLA, etc..), having an insane commitment to community service, being in honor society, winning prestigious awards..

These are lottery school man, you'll have so many paper perfect candidates apply.. Getting in involves a lot of luck

More like 5 giants, IMHO. HMS, JHU, UCSF, Stanford, Yale (maybe)

Winning a prestigious scholarship, doing a lot of research, going to a prestigious undergrad(UVA, Yale, UCLA, etc..), having an insane commitment to community service, being in honor society, winning prestigious awards..

These are lottery school man, you'll have so many paper perfect candidates apply.. Getting in involves a lot of luck
So what do you onsider as insane commitment to community service?
4000 hours of volunteering accumulated since you were 16 years old? And research being like 3+ publications in multiple labs and research starting when you were in High School?

Impeccable resume with lots of cool unique **** + URM + a hefty dose of luck.

So what do you onsider as insane commitment to community service?
4000 hours of volunteering accumulated since you were 16 years old? And research being like 3+ publications in multiple labs and research starting when you were in High School?
What you do in HS doesn't matter. It's all about what you do after HS
Yeah, 4000 is a good aim. Provided you actually love volunteering.. I love volunteering, so I'll probably enjoy doing 4,000 hours. :)
As for having a publication, I read that few actually had one.

Go read WIlliam Hwang's biography.. Doing something similar will get ya in for sure XD
http://www.pdsoros.org/current_fellows/index.cfm/yr/2008#hwang

Man.. that guy is a freaking genius

Impeccable resume with lots of cool unique **** + URM + a hefty dose of luck.
Better take out the URM part before this thread devolves into the weekly SDN racial brawl

Reactions: 4 users
Better take out the URM part before this thread devolves into the weekly SDN racial brawl

EHEHEHEEEEMMMMM.

I for one believe URMs are taking spots that are better devoted to more qualified applicants.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
EHEHEHEEEEMMMMM.

I for one believe URMs are taking spots that are better devoted to more qualified applicants.
Take cover, everyone!

Reactions: 16 users
EHEHEHEEEEMMMMM.

Let's not get into this arbitrary debate/conversation about the potential net advantage/disadvantage of affirmative action, please.

Reactions: 3 users
If you guys notices a lot of the top med schools have top hospitals..
Harvard and Mass General, Hopkins, and of course Hopkins, UCSF medical center, stanford and stanford hospital, etc..

EHEHEHEEEEMMMMM.

Honestly if URM status wasnt for the direct benefit of patients from the same ethnicity as the URM physician, I would also call total BS on such a policy.

I see the logic for the policy.

Honestly if URM status wasnt for the direct benefit of patients from the same ethnicity as the URM physician, I would also call total BS on such a policy.

I see the logic for the policy.
Being URM/SES is more than "connecting with the same ethnicity," but knowing what those shortcomings cause to health, access to care, and pre-existing stigma to all of those separate from the norm. Not saying if you're ORM you can't sympathize, but you more than likely cannot empathize.

I don't know how many times I've heard a nurse or physician make comments about a disheveled looking fellow and comment on their lack of ability to compensate for whatever treatment they'd need, or place bets on what kind of drug they'd ask for. Frankly, it's exactly what our society tends to breed unless you've experienced it in some fashion in the past.

Being URM/SES is more than "connecting with the same ethnicity," but knowing what those shortcomings cause to health, access to care, and pre-existing stigma to all of those separate from the norm. Not saying if you're ORM you can't sympathize, but you more than likely cannot empathize.

I don't know how many times I've heard a nurse or physician make comments about a disheveled looking fellow and comment on their lack of ability to compensate for whatever treatment they'd need, or place bets on what kind of drug they'd ask for. Frankly, it's exactly what our society tends to breed unless you've experienced it in some fashion in the past.

I'm not going to get into this thread and get in a debate about AA but this is at best a poorly phrased statement, and at worst highlights an embarrassing level of ignorance.

Last edited:

Well that's what everyone should try to do URM or not. The URM status is specifically designed to help the patient thus it is a valid practice.

What diseases do you have to cure to land a spot at one of these giants? (joking)

I hear curing ebola will get you a courtesy interview, but curing cancer will get you an acceptance.

To be honest, luck plays a big part. You may have an adcom who loves your application, or you may have an adcom who's tried after a long day's work and doesn't feel too impressed with your app.

Stanford only jumped up to the USNWR #2 a few years ago. Did it get that much better? Did everyone else get worse? Or, did the US News just change its methodology to elevate Stanford? Hmmm....I think it demonstrates just how arbitrary and silly these rankings are.

Stanford only jumped up to the USNWR #2 a few years ago. Did it get that much better? Did everyone else get worse? Or, did the US News just change its methodology to elevate Stanford? Hmmm....I think it demonstrates just how arbitrary and silly these rankings are.

Agreed. Though I guess as long as most people here have been in undergrad, Stanford has always been in the top 3. I still remember when it was outside of the top 10, and that was relatively recently. Schools don't change much, but ranking methodology does.

I'm not going to get into this thread and get in a debate about AA but this is at best a poorly phrased statement, and at worst highlights an embarrassing level of ignorance.

Well that's what everyone should try to do URM or not. The URM status is specifically designed to help the patient thus it is a valid practice.

Mwahahahahaha.

The impression I get is that, yes, stats are important and ECs are important. But it's not really about that. It's about demonstrating that you are truly exceptional. That you are a real pioneer or innovator with genuinely superb drive and intelligence. These schools get to pick the best of the best. They want people who will be leaders and groundbreakers, and it's generally pretty easy to see that on an app. The numbers are a given.

EHEHEHEEEEMMMMM.

Oh look. It's this thread again.

Stanford jumped to number 2 when U.S. News began to incorporate research $ per faculty member into its formula.

On another note, I'd much rather discuss rankings than URM admissions.

EHEHEHEEEEMMMMM.

Well I'm so god damn sorry that I didn't have enough time to study as much as you
I'm so sorry I didn't make enough time to study in between caring for my depressed alcoholic mother, mourning my father who died in the 7th grade, and becoming the man of the house from a young age
I'm so sorry that I had to work a job to support my family
I'm so sorry that I was treated as a second class citizen, and I'm so sorry that I can hardly go outside without SOMEONE giving me shift eyes
Speaking of going outside? I can't even do that safely
I'm so sorry that I lost friends because of my race and their over bearing parents.

I'm so sorry that I spent the majority of my undergrad knowing I was crippling my mother and having our meager home in constant limbo

But you're right
I don't deserve to go to med school
Obviously I have no right to take precious medical spots from people who REALLY deserve an MD, people who had the high MCAT scores and the high GPA.
I didn't work NEARLY as hard as you did, it's all equal now! It's 2015! Everyone's ok.
Right?

Well I'm so god damn sorry that I didn't have enough time to study as much as you
I'm so sorry I didn't make enough time to study in between caring for my depressed alcoholic mother, mourning my father who died in the 7th grade, and becoming the man of the house from a young age
I'm so sorry that I was treated as a second class citizen, and I'm so sorry that I can hardly go outside without SOMEONE giving me shift eyes
I'm so sorry that I lost friends because of my race and their over bearing parents.

I'm so sorry that I spent the majority of my undergrad knowing I was crippling my mother and having our meager home in constant limbo

But you're right
Obviously I have no right to take precious medical spots from people who REALLY deserve an MD, people who had the high MCAT scores and the high GPA.
I didn't work NEARLY as hard as you did, it's all equal now! It's 2015! Everyone's ok.
Right?
Dr.Carson didn't have your attitude.
That's all I'm going to say on this matter

#Carson2016

But you're right
Right?

I don't think the goal of the observed URM bias in medical school admissions has much to do with attempting to make it more fair to applicants because of assumptions made about how difficult it was to study due to your race. It's about actually getting more URMs into health care.

But you're right
Right?
I don't think the goal of the observed URM bias in medical school admissions has much to do with attempting to make it more fair to applicants because of assumptions made about how difficult it was to study due to your race. It's about actually getting more URMs into health care.
Guys there are about 10 other actual URM threads you can do this on without derailing this one. Just saying.

@StudyLater Congrats on turning into a troll.

But you're right
Right?

I definitely see what you're saying there. Good luck!

For me the gold standard would be

Harvard, JHU, Stanford, Yale, UPenn, Columbia, UCSF

Myb uchicago and wash u also

But you're right
Right?

I'm so sorry you didn't see the blatantly idiotic caricature of a troll I drew with that response.

And if it's serious time now: No, you have no right to be able to attend medical school. Neither does anyone else. We're generously given the opportunity to apply.

Guys there are about 10 other actual URM threads you can do this on without derailing this one. Just saying.

@StudyLater Congrats on turning into a troll.

Even when I'm explicitly joking about trying to start ****, apparently that actually starts ****. You guys are awesome.

szac582u-nie-ma-milordzie_zpse6de895e.gif

btw if we're returning to the thread now, the people naming schools are just as off topic. The OP didn't ask which schools are considered the top 5.

SMFH at this whole thread.

A high MCAT and good kneepads, if you know what I'm sayin'. Really though, a 3.8+ GPA, 35+ MCAT, research, and stellar ECs.

A high MCAT and good kneepads, if you know what I'm sayin'. Really though, a 3.8+ GPA, 35+ MCAT, research, and stellar ECs.
Kneepads are for ****ies. Time for pre-meds to show their commitment to medicine, if you know what I'm sayin' ;).

To be honest, luck plays a big part. You may have an adcom who loves your application, or you may have an adcom who's tried after a long day's work and doesn't feel too impressed with your app.
Apps at top schools tend to be evaluated more thoroughly than simply one moody adcom scoping them out.

I hear Mayo is big on service.
tumblr_mxkomxdD5G1rel4pvo1_500.gif

Restoration magic is also looked upon favorably.

Luckily I am a lvl 92 mage healer with a +5 revival staff. Don't even get me started on how much hp+mp I can recover for u when I have an 8+ member party boost.