What Does It take to get an Interventional spot?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IMDoc607

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do I need to do to get an interventional fellowship? I'm starting my general fellowship July 1 and want to prepare. So far I have 3 publications and working on a 4th. One of them is in the Journal of Invasive Cardiology. I'm looking for places down South preferably North Carolina.

Members don't see this ad.

What do I need to do to get an interventional fellowship? I'm starting my general fellowship July 1 and want to prepare. So far I have 3 publications and working on a 4th. One of them is in the Journal of Invasive Cardiology. I'm looking for places down South preferably North Carolina.

Getting an interventional fellowship requires both a pulse and a general cardiology fellowship.

Getting the interventional fellowship of your choice is a bit trickier. Having the publication will help quite a bit. Is your general fellowship in North Carolina? If so you have nothing to worry about. If it's not in North Carolina or anywhere near the south, your interventional PD/faculty may have to make some calls. Get to know the interventional faculty well, excel during your cath rotations, and try and publish with them. Then you won't have a problem.

p diddy

Getting an interventional fellowship requires both a pulse and a general cardiology fellowship.

Getting the interventional fellowship of your choice is a bit trickier. Having the publication will help quite a bit. Is your general fellowship in North Carolina? If so you have nothing to worry about. If it's not in North Carolina or anywhere near the south, your interventional PD/faculty may have to make some calls. Get to know the interventional faculty well, excel during your cath rotations, and try and publish with them. Then you won't have a problem.

p diddy

My fellowship is not in NC. I'm getting another 2 or 3 publications as well but they are in EP so I'm not sure if that'll help much. What are some good programs but that are not insanely competitive?