What does it mean?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pre Opt Student

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So Ive finally heard from two schools..and they BOTH (ICO and PCO) want my december transcripts. I am taking some pre-reqs this semester, microbiology, physiology, and english. Im SO nervous. What does this even mean? I did really well on my midterms and should get A's in these classes, but even IF I do will they still maybe not give me an interview? Has anyone in the past had schools request this and still got an interview? I really need some hope here..Hopefully the situation is not as bad as I think...

Members don't see this ad.

I've read many of your posts, and I'm impressed at how highly motivated, dedicated, and persistant you are to get into optometry school, but you really need to learn to relax and don't get overly anxious over things you have NO control over...such as admissions decisions.
You've done everything humanly possible to appease the admission's committees at the schools that you've applied to...what else can you do, but just be patient and wait for their rulings as to whether or not you'll get an interview at ICO and PCO. I know it's probably frustrating to see other pre-opt students posting their interview dates; however, as long as you know you've followed all of your specific schools' recommendations to improve your application...what else can you do? Every situation is different, so you really can't compare grades and OAT scores, etc from other applicants on this or any other site. The ONLY thing you have control over now is to do well on your pre-requisite courses (microbiology, physiology, and English) and then send in your Dec transcripts, and wait for their rulings. Remember, the admission's season is still early, and you haven't been rejected from either ICO or PCO, so you still have a chance for admittance. Just wait it out, and you'll be fine.

Thanks, I know I have been getting frustrated and worried alot and its been showing from my posts. Its just that this is the only place I can relate to people (I dont know anyone else applying to optometry) and understand my own situation from people's past experiences. But I definately think you are right that everyone's situation is different, because there are people here that have lower gpas and oats that have gotten interviews. Also, when talking to the SUNY's admission coordinator he told me that the school I come from is so competitive and people with lower marks would have a good shot. I know the only thing I can do is wait it out and be patient, but its just a really hard time when I feel like there is not much I can do. I am however considering applying to more schools or maybe even re-writing the OAT. I just really want more than anything to get in this year.

Members don't see this ad :)
So what's holding you back from applying to more schools, because it's definitly not late to apply to other schools. PCO and ICO are the two largest classes so even if you have to wait untill your fall grades come out, it wouldn't put you at a disadvantage as far as the class filling up. I understand you frustration, It Sucks..have you thought about maybe sending in an additional LOR along with the fall grades. My friend was in the similar situation with SCO last year and he turned in two more LOR's and he got his acceptance later in the spring. Anyway GL

I'm on the same boat, ico, nova, and pco are waiting on my transcripts as well.

may i ask what did you get on your oat? i scored a 340, but i think i will retake it since i know i can do better, the sections i didn't study for hit me the hardest.

Im also partially in the same boat..PCO told me they are waiting on my fall transcripts (for only 1 class...a Gchem course im repeating nonetheless). Although I do have an interview to ICO, I just retook the OAT on Halloween, and scored better than the first time, so maybe that'll help push some of the other colleges im waiting for to send an interview my way.

Best of luck to you! Just do well in your classes, and i'm sure you'll be fine. The mere fact that they didnt reject you outright has got to count for something right??