what does internship year mean?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jiggabot

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the internship year? Do all specialties have one? I know surgery has one, but does something like Psych or EM or FM have one?

And does completing your internship year mean something special (like you can legally practice or something?)

Members don't see this ad.

Internship is the first year of residency. Every field has it, whether it's emergency, family or surgery. Rads, anesthesia, Derm, optho require a medicine or surgery intern year prior to beginning to their respective residencies. The only real thing you get for finishing is the ability to apply for a DEA license, meaning you can prescribe controlled substances (narcotics, benzos) after.

What is the internship year? Do all specialties have one? I know surgery has one, but does something like Psych or EM or FM have one?

And does completing your internship year mean something special (like you can legally practice or something?)

Kind of. All states require at least one year of post-graduate medical education to get an unrestricted medical license. Some states (around twelve, I think) require more. Accordingly, an internship is the minimum level of training you need to complete to practice medicine independently. However, to do so is extraordinarily uncommon nowadays.

Members don't see this ad :)
Internship is the first year of residency. Every field has it, whether it's emergency, family or surgery. Rads, anesthesia, Derm, optho require a medicine or surgery intern year prior to beginning to their respective residencies. The only real thing you get for finishing is the ability to apply for a DEA license, meaning you can prescribe controlled substances (narcotics, benzos) after.

You don't need an intern year to get a DEA#.

Most states require an internship in order to get a license.

how do I pick a state for a prelim year on the ERAS application??

what I mean is, on ERAS, how do I see which programs have prelim IM years?

Just look at the ACGME website, it's more user friendly. There are no shortage of prelim programs.

it's pretty easy on ERAS as well. Just search IM programs in a particular state and under the program name it lists if the program is categorical, prelim, PC track etc