What does Harvard MPH look for?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Got Em

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm sorry this isn't in the WAMC thread. It doesn't seem active and the only program I'm applying to is the Harvard Epidemiology Online/On-Campus program.

I have 1.5 years from applying and would like to know if there are ways to improve my chances of getting in. My main goal for the MPH is to become better at biostatstical modeling and better decision making in solving 2 major problems - opioid crisis and emergency department crowding/lack of access.

- Resident emergency physician at hospital associated w/ top 20 undergrad and top 50 med school
- Completed MD/MBA in US public university
- Pharmacist (PharmD) w/ experience in retail and hospital (4 years full time; 3 years part time)
- Undergrad at public institution

Stats
- MCAT (31; 10/10/11); they'll accept in lieu of GRE
- MD GPA: mix of H, HP, and P
- MBA GPA: 3.8 ish
- PharmD GPA: 3.9ish
- Undergrad GPA: 3.5ish

Extracurricular
- Leadership: led vaccine program in pharmacy to #1 in district; president of various clubs in schools
- Research: posters on emergency department administration, health literacy, and other non-public health projects; NO publications
- Community service: led city wide CPR campaign (won community service award); raised money for local free clinic

I know that my raw stats aren't very high and I went to a public school for all of my degrees, but I hope that I can get some advice on what to focus on for the next year and a half. I'll have maybe only 10 hours per week to work on projects during residency. Thank you for the advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
So you have an BS/BA, MD, MBA and PharmD? Why in the world do you need another degree? Have business, pharmacy and/or medicine not been satisfying in some way? Honestly curious.

I don't think anyone will be able to provide you with any in-depth insight into their application process, but as someone who applied as an (almost) MD, I had similar questions. As far as I can tell, they seem to care a lot less about your undergrad grades and stats (which are fine, btw) and are more interested what you've done in the years since. If you can articulate why you want the degree and what your career plans are, I'm sure they'd love someone with your pedigree to join the school.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm an MD accepted to Harvard's MPH. Based on your profile, I think you will be fine as long as you can write a good personal statement.

Members don't see this ad :)
So you have an BS/BA, MD, MBA and PharmD? Why in the world do you need another degree? Have business, pharmacy and/or medicine not been satisfying in some way? Honestly curious.

I don't think anyone will be able to provide you with any in-depth insight into their application process, but as someone who applied as an (almost) MD, I had similar questions. As far as I can tell, they seem to care a lot less about your undergrad grades and stats (which are fine, btw) and are more interested what you've done in the years since. If you can articulate why you want the degree and what your career plans are, I'm sure they'd love someone with your pedigree to join the school.

Thank you for the response. I'm sorry if I sounded like a degree collector attempting for more. I attended an MD/MBA program that didn't add extra years and it's a non-top 50 public university, so the MBA doesn't really help much. I also didn't learn that much during the MBA portion.

As stated previously, my main goal is to become better at biostatstical modeling and decision making in solving the opioid crisis and emergency department crowding.

I have been hearing from some advisors saying Harvard takes either students from prestigious undergrads or ones with high scores and a demonstrated passion for something MPH related through lots of research/work experience. I don't have any of that. I only know what I hope to gain from the program and what I plan to do with the knowledge obtained. I was just seeing if someone can look my profile/stats and advise me on where to focus.

I'm an MD accepted to Harvard's MPH. Based on your profile, I think you will be fine as long as you can write a good personal statement.

I agree with Decicco. I'm also an MD accepted into the MPH, and I think you're good to go. I agree that writing a persuasive personal statement will be key. Start early and give it a lot of thought. They severely limit the length, so you have to be really concise. Opioid addiction is a hot topic right now, so that's not a bad subject to write about. They say they are looking for people who will be leaders, so if you can make the case you'd be a leader in helping to solve the opioid crisis etc., then you would be in good shape.

You have some interesting experience, so I'm sure you'd be a good candidate.

Last edited:
Wrong thread!

Last edited:
I have been hearing from some advisors saying Harvard takes either students from prestigious undergrads or ones with high scores and a demonstrated passion for something MPH related through lots of research/work experience. I don't have any of that. I only know what I hope to gain from the program and what I plan to do with the knowledge obtained. I was just seeing if someone can look my profile/stats and advise me on where to focus.
I went to GW for undergrad and go to a state medical school and I was accepted to Harvard with a full tuition scholarship. Definitely don't have super high scores. Those kinds of "rules" are for undergrads or people without an advanced degree. You'll be fine!