What does Clinical Pharmacy mean to you?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ZpackSux

Retired
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Students,

What are your thoughts? What do you think clinical/staff pharmacists do at an health system setting? Is that what you would like to do? :cool:

Members don't see this ad.

ZpackSux said:
Students,

What are your thoughts? What do you think clinical/staff pharmacists do at an health system setting? Is that what you would like to do? :cool:

I'm only a second year, so I haven't had as much exposure to clinical pharmacy as others here. However, just from doing a rotation at Good Samaritan Hospital, speaking with our clinical pharmacist professors at Maryland, and the ones at Johns Hopkins, it really is exciting the possibilities that have opened up in recent years for improved involvement in patient care for pharmacists. Even though the pay is not as good as retail pharmacy, most of the clinical pharmacists I've met seem really enthusiastic about their work. I've seen them in the management of AC clinics, asthma clinics, increased roles at the VA Hospital, training the staff pharmacists in antibiotic dosing, medication safety education of nurses, involvement in codes, HIV medication management, etc. The goal I think is for the pharmacist to have a more active role in working with physicians to offer the safest, most effective, and most cost effective medication management. The newer physicians seem to really respect the profession more as they're more exposed to clinical pharmacists to show them what our profession can really do to help them and their patients.

I've met a few clinical pharmacists that have even started up smoking cessation and diabetes management clinics in retail settings (Target and Giant respectively) although they're not 3rd party reimbursed yet, maybe Medicare will eventually come through.

I can't believe there was only one reply.

Members don't see this ad :)
You must be really bored if you are digging up 3 yr old threads..

Students,

I think the above post answered it pretty well. Clinical pharmacists have many important functions in a hospital setting. They need to make sure that medication therapy is optimal, they perform medication reconciliation, they make sure there are no interactions or allergies, they counsel patients on the medication (outpatient mostly), they educate medical staff (nurses, residents), they are involved in investigational drug protocols, they have a huge part in the development of hospital formularies, they are an important source for drug information (therapeutics and physical drug questions), and of course they need to process prescriptions and help medical staff to access specialty drugs. They are also important in developing medication safety forms and protocols. Clinical pharmacists may also need to change drug (ie antibiotic) doses in regards to drug levels and/or renal function. Some may be in charge of anti-coagulation protocols.
In outpatient settings, such as specialty clinics, staff pharmacists will assess patients, monitor drug efficacy, and prescribe the appropriate medications (Alberta). I have professors who work in HIV clinics, menopause clinics, diabetes clinics, cardiac clinics, family health clinics where they would need to do such activities.
I'm pretty sure there are other functions but these were some of the main functions I saw during my rotation.

I can't believe there was only one reply.

hey...how 'bout this?

"clinical" pharmacy means nothing to me.

all pharmacists are clinical.

the dichotomy b/t "clinical" and "non-clinical" needs to end. THAT's what has the potential to ruin the profession. NOT stay-at-home moms or other part-timers!:D see...i changed my mind!

by calling myself a clinical pharmacist I feel more special than those unfortunate non-clinical people who work for the man. *sarcasm*

Seems like another way to put people into tiers in our profession.