What does an interview really mean?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

box29

Keep on keepin' on Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, i'm not trying to be pessimistic or anything but what does it really mean when you get an interview besides the fact that they like you on paper well enough to invite you. Are the chances of being accepted greater or is it like walking on a tightrope without a balancing stick. I've read some posts where some people thought the interview went well and didn't get in (at PCOM). What are your thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I think that is a pretty tough question. Like you said, many people think the interview went great and they weren't accepted or vice versa. First, receiving an interview definitely increases your chances, but then again..it is a chance, not a guarantee.
I think an interview can definitely make you or break you, but it is not the only factor that adcoms look at. I think that time also plays an important role (this is where luck comes into play). Perhaps you get an interview early, and the adcoms is looking for a particular person. Let's say you fit the description and then you are accepted. But if you were given the interview later on in the process, then maybe they are not looking for that type of person anymore and you are rejected.
There is really no way to know how important the interview is for a certain school, until you receive that letter.
As applicants we just have to do as best we can in the interview, in that way we can increase our chances even more for an acceptance.

box29,

That is a great question... In fact, my goal is to be a part of the admissions committee of the school that I end up at, so i can see excatly how this whole application process really works...

I am of the opinion that your performance during the interview is huge... Lets say for example that you are interviewed by a panel of four people, one of which will be your represesntative to a 25 person admissions committee who previously only knew you from your primary and secondary applications and your letters of rec... This representative is your only voice to the admissions committee and I would think most if not all the committee's questions and concerns would be directed toward this person... From this vantage point, your performance in the interview is critical, if not ultimate.

But like again, this is all speculation, and I hope someday soon I will be able to answer your question from experience!

Brian Enriquez
[email protected]

Members don't see this ad :)
I think that it depends on the school. Some places offer acceptances to the vast majority of interviewees; in this situation the interview is used to simply confirm that there are no serious social-type flaws that were not evident on the applications. These institutions clearly put the bulk of the weight on your paper applications.

Other schools tend to interview far more applicants than they offer acceptances to, and thus place much more emphasis on the interview. They tend to look a little more past the numbers, once you reach some minimum standards.

The best way to determine which school falls into each category is to check out the numbers...# interviewed/# accepted.

MS-1
Midwestern University-CCOM

I guess my qeustion refers to CCOM.

Claymore,
do you know the # interviewed/# accepted at CCOM? I have an interview there this month and I'm a little nervous because it's so late in the process.
thanks
Jenny

jenny i would love to know the answer to that as well...im in the same boat...what day do you interview? I am interviewing on march 26th...and i was wondering if they are accepting less since its so late in the season!

You will probably have to contact the admissions office for the # interviewed if you're really interested. However, according to the JAOA, the numbers for CCOM in the 2001-2002 academic year are:

Applications: 2664
First Year Enrollment: 161
Percent (Enrolled/Applied): 6%

Source: JAOA 102(11): 576-581, 2002.

Just to give you all a little hope, yes, it is late in the process but I interviewed in April last year, and here I am, along with 2 others from my interview group. Good luck!

MS-1
Midwestern University-CCOM

i am also interested in this topic as i just received an invite from NYCOMl. anyone know how many they interview? susan

USNews didn't have data for CCOM, but here is NYCOM (2001 stats)

Total:

Applied: 2,841; Interviewed: 813; Accepted: 491; Enrolled: 304

In state:

Applied: 675; Interviewed: 467; Accepted: 300; Enrolled: 208

Out of state:

Applied: 2,166; Interviewed: 346; Accepted: 191; Enrolled: 96

Women:
Applied: 1,381; Interviewed: 380; Accepted: 255; Enrolled: 157

Minorities:
Applied: 1,094; Interviewed: 255; Accepted: 214; Enrolled: 129

International:
Applied: 5; Interviewed: 2; Accepted: 2; Enrolled: 2

I guess Claymore or another CCOM student could best answer this:

Does CCOM carefully screen secondaries for interviews and offer acceptances to most of the interviewees?