What does an EP Cardiologist do? and how to be one?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Will Hunting

Aspiring Cardiologist
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've always been interested in cardiology. I just found out about this type of cardiologist from another thread. what procedures do they perform and how do you become one?

Members don't see this ad.

Will Hunting said:
I've always been interested in cardiology. I just found out about this type of cardiologist from another thread. what procedures do they perform and how do you become one?
Undergraduate - 4 years
Medical School - 4 years
Internal Medicine Residency - 3 years
Cardiology Fellowship - 3 years
EP Fellowship - 1-2 years

EP is a very interesting field, they place and tune up pacemakers, do thermal, alcohol ablation of aberrant nodes in the heart that are creating arrhythmias, etc. As you can see it takes a very long time to become an EP Cardiologist, and as a current M4, I can tell you the debt you accrue over this time is very substantial, unless Mom and Dad pay or you get scholarships.

dukeblue01 said:
Undergraduate - 4 years
Medical School - 4 years
Internal Medicine Residency - 3 years
Cardiology Fellowship - 3 years
EP Fellowship - 1-2 years

EP is a very interesting field, they place and tune up pacemakers, do thermal, alcohol ablation of aberrant nodes in the heart that are creating arrhythmias, etc. As you can see it takes a very long time to become an EP Cardiologist, and as a current M4, I can tell you the debt you accrue over this time is very substantial, unless Mom and Dad pay or you get scholarships.

thanks.