what does a background check entail?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

breathingin450

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
So this is my first time posting. I'm trying to understand how the whole background check works. If someone called the police on you but you never got any citation or evidence that you were charged with something, does that show up on the background check? or if you ended up going to the hospital for alcohol intoxication but never got charged with anything, does that show up?

I've never been charged with a citation, ticket, misdemeanor or felony but I know of people who ended up at the hospital to have their stomach pumped in college and stuff like that and haven't been charged either.

Members don't see this ad.

So this is my first time posting. I'm trying to understand how the whole background check works. If someone called the police on you but you never got any citation or evidence that you were charged with something, does that show up on the background check? or if you ended up going to the hospital for alcohol intoxication but never got charged with anything, does that show up?

I've never been charged with a citation, ticket, misdemeanor or felony but I know of people who ended up at the hospital to have their stomach pumped in college and stuff like that and haven't been charged either.
I don't think so. I've been in similar situations and have had multiple background checks and none of it showed up. So I'd say you're good.

Members don't see this ad :)
What are you trying to hide?

nothing, I was just curious. My ex and I had a terrible breakup and the police were called but no one was charged with anything. So I wanted to know if that was incriminating.

When you get into a hospital setting for work/volunteering they will background check you. Request a copy of the background check to really see what it shows.

Arrests,charges,convictions, and possibly citations.

I think I've just had speeding citations. I'm curious lol now I want to run a background check on myself
The background checks that are bought online are kinda useless , they look at some private database. I ended up paying these folks their fee because I wanted to be certain there was nothing I needed to disclose. You can request and FBI background check that requires fingerprinting for around 50bucks I think.

Last edited:
nothing, I was just curious. My ex and I had a terrible breakup and the police were called but no one was charged with anything. So I wanted to know if that was incriminating.

Medical school apps ask specific questions, e.g. Have you ever been convicted of a crime? It sounds like you can honestly answer no to that. On the other hand, should some crazy secondary ask "Have you ever been involved in a domestic dispute to which law enforcement responded?" it sounds like you'd have to answer yes. Just answer whatever you're being asked honestly. If you're unsure of whether you were arrested/charged/convicted/etc., request your criminal history through your state.