What Do You Wish You Had Done Before Starting School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nicolette

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
This question is geared towards current med students. I will be starting my first year next fall, and I was just wondering what kind of advice you have for someone who's just getting started. Are there some things you wish you had known, prepared for, etc. Would any of you recommend taking some additional science courses as preparation for first year courses? Any other special advice?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey,
So you are about to start Med School. Let me be the first to tell you that you have made the right career choice, if you are in it for the right reason. I am 21y/o medical student...one of the youngest in my class, yea its hard, yea its stressful...but I love it. So you want info. O.K.
First semester you will be taking Histology/Embryology, Biochemistry and Gross Anatomy. If you want to get ahead, do some reading in the Gross Anatomy book (Author: Moore), get a Netter and start on the "Back", which will be the first aspect on gross that you will encounter. Gross is not hard/difficult, it just takes alot of time and memorization, but try to understand it...the insertions, innervations, blood supply and actions of each muscle. My best advice would be...ENJOY your free time now, spend it with your family or loved ones...relax and be excited for what you are about to embark upon in the future. Best of luck!!!
-Brian

------------------
-Bri

Make us all a promise and just relax.
smile.gif

Gross Anatomy varies from school to school. Not every school starts off with the back, although it would seem pretty logical. We started off with upper limb.

The coming summer will surely be your last free summer for a LONG time.

Tim of New York City.

Members don't see this ad :)
i wish i had worked on my tan some more, and also had more experiences that would be the envy of the sultan of turkey...no time for that now!...good luck!....avi

Though a good majority of people say that you should relax and have fun, I wish I had gone over biochem before I started.