What do you wish the med students knew?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Captain Planet

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I shouldn't really be posting here as i'm about to enter clinical school, but you guys seem the best people to answer my question.
Just wondering what you wished the med students knew in their clinical rotations?
Or what study was most useful for you in clinical school and as an intern?

I hope this post doesn't overlap, I was wanting to know what numbers/skills i should know before I get to the hospital, or what questions attendings like to ask?
I feel like 2.5 years of pre-clin med school has done nothing :shrug:
Thanks xx

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,
I shouldn't really be posting here as i'm about to enter clinical school, but you guys seem the best people to answer my question.

Actually, this might be better answered in the Clinical Rotations forum. There, you'll have brand-new senior med students who will be able to tell you what attendings typically like to ask, what residents look for, etc.

lOr what study was most useful for you in clinical school and as an intern?l

:confused: Not sure what you mean by "study." Do you mean which textbook was most useful?

Thanks xx

Don't worry, everyone feels that way. :)

Hey guys,
Just wondering what you wished the med students knew in their clinical rotations?

I hope this post doesn't overlap, I was wanting to know what numbers/skills i should know before I get to the hospital, or what questions attendings like to ask?
Thanks xx

So, as a just finished 4th year and entering internship, I'll give you a few thoughts.

1. Know your patients. When you are just coming on, gather information. Do a full H&P on each of your patients until you can do it without your maxwells :D. You won't have time, sometimes, but you will find time to get to know your patients. If possible, try and pick up the "sickest" patients. Then, dig in and get to know their pathophys., why's, how's, what's med's, interactions, imaging, labs. Liver and onc. patients will teach you a ton.
This is the best learning/teaching you will get.

2. Books - I learned by doing and seeing, then up-to-date, harrison's etc.

3. go to morning reports, noon conferences, etc. You will learn how to think in a logical manner and present patients properly.

4. Be willing to accept critisism and change. Be courteous, hold hands when crossing the street, take a nap... all the things you learned in kindergarten.

:luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,

Thanks xx

Honestly? I wish you knew how to act like an adult. Everything else is gravy.

Sit down, shut up and pay attention to the people who know more than you do. Some of them will be nice, others will be total d-bags. You have something (medical or not) to learn from all of them.

Ask informed questions. Don't ask "what should I do?" Instead, ask "I was thinking of doing ..., because of .... What do you think?"

If you don't know the answer to a factual questions ("What was his Cr this morning?") say you don't know. Lying is worse than not knowing. If you don't know the answer to a pimp question, guess. If you get it wrong and whoever asked you explains the answer, you've learned something. If they berate you, take solace in the fact that you've gotten laid more recently than they have.

The goals of an intern and that of a medical student don't really overlap tremendously. As a 4th year student doing their sub-I, you should do all the things the interns do but as a 3rd year, priorities are different. You come in to primarily do 2 things: 1) get a good evaluation and 2) do well on your shelf exam. That matters more to a 3rd year student than being a gofer and errand boy/girl for interns who want to scut you out every chance they get with no reward for it.

The priorities of an intern are to get their list done. Whether it means getting consults to see your patients, lab tests ordered, scans done, etc etc. it needs to get done with the results back by the next morning for rounds. You will no doubt encounter residents who just want to get through the day and could care less for your presence - the "stay out of my way" attitude of an individual should just be an indicator that this isn't someone who will teach you much because they really don't care for your presence. Just find someone who doesn't mind having you around

At the end of the day, I would just want a person who is chill to be around and interested in learning. Oh, and I don't mind getting followed all day but when I go into the bathroom, don't follow me in