This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentaldreaming

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Overall gpa: 4.0
Science gpa: 4.0
Bio-chem-physics gpa: 4.0
Undergrad attended: A state University in the Midwest
DAT score (worried about this!) 17 AA/ 16 BIO/ 16 GCHEM/ 17 Orgo/ 17 PAT/ 19 RC/ 19 QR
Community Service: Volunteer for Hospice as a patient care volunteer to dying patients, at an emergency dental clinic that extracts teeth for homeless, emergency medical responder volunteer on ambulance runs, Sunday School teacher at church, vacation bible school counselor
Extracurricular:
President of ambassador club for college
President of Honor Commission for college
Treasurer of Pre-Dental Club
Director of Academic Excellence for sorority
Social Media Manager for agriculture club
Member of a couple Honor Societies
Teaching Assistant for a business course
Dental Externship course where area dentists came in to speak
Shadowing hours: 120 hours with variety of general dentists (private practice and low income clinics), pediatric dentist, oral surgeons, periodontist, orthodontists
Letters of rec:
1 from general dentist (Moderate), 1 from Chemistry professor (Good), 1 from calculus professor (Fantastic)
When you plan on submitting AADSAS application: July 14
State of residence: WICHE state without dental school
Misc info you think is important:
-Agricultural Economics major who finished undergrad in 3 years w/ 4.0. My 4.0 GPA is in economics courses, NOT science courses! Hence why I have a low DAT score (I know econ, not science yet). In my PS, I mentioned how the knowledge learned will be helpful for owning a private practice in a rural area some day.
-Come from a very rural area (graduating class was 20 students) and would like to return to something like this
-I do not have many of my prerequisites done and will be taking them in the upcoming school year (still need OC 2, BIO 2, Physics 1/2, biochemistry, anatomy/physiology, genetics)
Applying to:
UMN, Creighton, UN Lincoln, Colorado, Midwestern (AZ), Loma Linda, LECOM, Iowa, Roseman, Western (CA), South Carolina, Marquette, UN Las Vegas

I realize that my DAT score is low, but perhaps because I have not taken many pre-requisite science courses. I have taken a lot of upper level economics, accounting, business courses. Any advice/chances/feedback is GREATLY appreciated! So thankful for a forum like this where we can all connect and share the joys and struggles together.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
with the DAT being so low, I think it's gonna be really really hard to get any interviews from any schools.
you should have waited for some more science courses maybe. Did you nto use chad's and bootcamp? also for bio you don't really need to take any courses as logn as you memorize feralis.
I really wish you could hear from schools but I seriously think you might have to retake (because of your TS..it's just kinda low)

Your GPA looks pretty bad paired with that DAT score. Retake DAT.

Edit: I retract my statement. I realized that you earned a 4.0 as an Economics major, which constitutes for a more consistent narrative than otherwise in your case. I was a Biology major with a 3.9 GPA.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I agree. The GPA-DAT combo is off. The 4.0 sGPA would like believable with a high TS score (22+). I would retake.

Unfortunately, with a GPA that high and a DAT that low, adcoms will question the difficulty of your undergraduate curriculum.

Retake the DAT only after completing your pre-requisites - was there any particular reason you took the DAT before finishing these courses? I understand the desire to apply early, but most schools want to see your performance in the base pre-reqs (bio, orgo, gen chem, physics, etc.) when looking over your application, not in-progress. As others have mentioned, your current score also heavily undermines your otherwise stellar GPA and brings the rigor of your school's curriculum under question.

You are still so young and have such great leadership skills. 4.0 GPA in econ in just 3 years is amazing and dental schools love students from diverse backgrounds, not just sciences. As others have mentioned, retaking the DAT after completing all pre-reqs will significantly increase your chances to a lot of schools. Good luck!!

Apply next year after you take those science prereqs and retake the DAT. Schools will doubt your ability to excel in the hard science curriculum otherwise.

Reactions: 1 user
I agree with everyone else that has posted. Should have taken those prereqs before diving into the exam!