What do you recommend for MS4 RE: USMLE step 3?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docbill

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I am a 4th year MD student and just finished my CK exam a month ago and still waiting for results. I am wondering if you guys / gals have suggestions about preparing for Step 3.

I would like to do it after I finish med school and prior to starting residency. I figure might as well get it out of the way since I have 2 months before residency starts (if I match).

What should I use to study. UWorld during 4th year?
Any negatives of doing Step 3 at the end of 4th year?
Any negatives if I fail it prior or just as I starting residency?

Thanks for the feedback.

Members don't see this ad.

You may want to see what the requirements of your state are. In Michigan, you are required to have completed 6 months of residency in order to sit for step 3. Check fsmb.org site for specifics on your state.

Also, you can not apply for step 3 until after you have graduated medical school. Apparently applications that are received prior to your graduation date are/may be rejected.

You may want to see what the requirements of your state are. In Michigan, you are required to have completed 6 months of residency in order to sit for step 3. Check fsmb.org site for specifics on your state.

Also, you can not apply for step 3 until after you have graduated medical school. Apparently applications that are received prior to your graduation date are/may be rejected.

Yes. But you can register under a state that does not have a residency requirement.

Also I can sit the exam after graduation, and just before I start residency. The goal is to study for it months in advance in order to get it done early and not have to worry about it in Internship year.

Any negatives of doing Step 3 at the end of 4th year?

Thanks for the feedback.

The negatives are that, depending on what residency you do, your intern year is basically a giant prep course for step 3. The test really focuses on things you do as an intern in IM and a few other fields, and a lot of the things you will be saying in your sleep to the nurses who page you at all hours are answers on the test, and a lot of the orders in CCS are going to be things you have been jotting in the charts daily for a year. There's a ton that you wouldn't know simply from med school, so the prep is going to be significantly harder if you take it before you have most of your intern year under your belt.

On the flip side, you probably have more time to study as a 4th year med student than you will as an intern.

Members don't see this ad :)
The negatives are that, depending on what residency you do, your intern year is basically a giant prep course for step 3. The test really focuses on things you do as an intern in IM and a few other fields, and a lot of the things you will be saying in your sleep to the nurses who page you at all hours are answers on the test, and a lot of the orders in CCS are going to be things you have been jotting in the charts daily for a year. There's a ton that you wouldn't know simply from med school, so the prep is going to be significantly harder if you take it before you have most of your intern year under your belt.

On the flip side, you probably have more time to study as a 4th year med student than you will as an intern.

You definitely have more time as a fourth year med student! :(

The exam is very doable before residency

just make sure that u are a graduate taken all step exams prior and apply via states like texas and connecticut

the only negative i can think of is many programs will pay for your exam after your first year.

The exam is very doable before residency

just make sure that u are a graduate taken all step exams prior and apply via states like texas and connecticut

the only negative i can think of is many programs will pay for your exam after your first year.

Thanks. I guess I could start studying for it and book it early in my internship. And hope they cover the cost. If not that is fine. Isn't that education fund usable for other things like books and conference too.

Thanks. I guess I could start studying for it and book it early in my internship. And hope they cover the cost. If not that is fine. Isn't that education fund usable for other things like books and conference too.

Depends on the program. A lot of the internships I have been applying for separate out those costs (at least according to their websites).

I was thinking about doing the same thing partially because I have two infants at home and will have more time to study now than during internship. My question is, if I register in CT, do I have to take the exam there or can I take it in my current state? Also, do I have to "wave in" to my state? (I know nurses have to do this after they take their RN exams).

Thanks so much. Really appreciate input.

i think i'm going to be doing the same thing. what are you using to prep? Master the Boards Step 3? Crush? USMLEWorld?

I spoke with the fsmb about it, you can register in any state based on whatever requirements they have....I'm not sure why people keep saying it matters what state you take residency in..that doesn't matter